Liverpool Ladies slipped to a 2-1 defeat against Chelsea on a blustery Sunday afternoon at Skelmersdale.

Despite the visitors racing into a two-goal first-half lead, Robbie Johnson's team can count themselves unlucky not to have rescued a point after a determined second-half display.

Following last week's improved showing in Bristol, Johnson made three changes, bringing in Nicki Harding, Gemma Watson and Kelly Jones for Caroline Charlton, Cheryl Foster and Suzanne Lappin.

After a scrappy opening 10 minutes, Chelsea - who themselves enjoyed a convincing win at Doncaster last week - took the lead after Nicky Twohig's mistake presented a chance to Danni Buet.

The striker capitalised after Twohig mis-controlled, and she coolly slotted home past Worrall.

Liverpool's first sight of goal came after 18 minutes when Katie Brusell's through ball set Littlejohn free. Despite outpacing her marker, the Scot found the angle too tight and could only fire across Carly Telford's goal.

Minutes later, Liverpool almost equalised thanks to Telford's misjudgement. Watson swung in a corner and the England goalkeeper failed to claim the cross, but to her relief saw Sam Chappell's header come back off the crossbar.

Chelsea then regained their early momentum, and just after Claire Rafferty had struck the post, Drew Spence doubled their lead with a neat finish from Helen Lander's pull back.

The dangerous Buet then almost doubled her tally, as she struck the woodwork twice inside a few seconds. Clean through, she saw her initial shot cannon back off Worrall's post and then fired the rebound onto the bar.

The home side made the most of that let-off, and gave themselves hope with a goal of real quality just before half-time. Brusell did well to hold the ball up on the right before laying it back to Harding. The right-back measured her cross perfectly, allowing Kelly Jones to power home a header at the back post.

The Reds started the second half brightly, and Kelly Jones almost found herself with a chance after capitalising on confusion in the Chelsea defence, but she was crowded out as she tried to get her shot away.

Despite enjoying the lion's share of possesion, Liverpool struggled to create any clear-cut chances, Littlejohn's tame curling effort the only real test for Telford.

Littlejohn thought she had salvaged a point late on as she bundled home Kelly Jones' cross from close range, only to see the linesman raise his flag.

Despite a display full of heart, the Reds failed to test Telford further, and are still searching for their first league win.

Click here to visit Liverpool Ladies' official website>>