The Hillsborough inquests commenced on March 31, 2014 and are the subject of reporting restrictions that have been imposed by the Attorney General's office. Liverpool Football Club is respectful of these restrictions and will therefore only be making available updates from other media channels for the duration of the inquest.

To view archive reports from each day of the inquest hearings, click here.

Courtesy of the BBC - May 30

Hillsborough's safety certificate was "out of date" at the time of the stadium disaster, a jury has heard.

Inquests are being held into the deaths of 96 fans who died as result of a crush at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final.

Retired senior fire officer Ronald Grimshaw was on a committee monitoring the ground's safety certificate.

He told the jury it was still valid in 1989, but "everybody in the working party was concerned that the safety certificate was so far out of date".

Mr Grimshaw was on the working party committee that oversaw the safety certificate of the Sheffield Wednesday ground between 1984 and 1988 when the layout of the Leppings Lane terraces changed.

This included the installation of radial fences that divided the standing terraces into pens.

He said: "It was just the planning side of it had gone awry because there were so many alterations being proposed, to be updated.

"It was always promised that it would be, it was just... every time I think they looked at it something else happened."

Asked about the introduction of the radial fences, Mr Grimshaw told the jury it was a "workable idea" on the condition police officers were deployed to count the number of fans coming in and out and police were able to open and close gates.

On Thursday, the inquests in Warrington heard 38 fans were reportedly injured in a "crushing incident" at Hillsborough eight years before the 1989 disaster.

It happened during the 1981 FA Cup semi-final between Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The inquests heard the Hillsborough stadium had "no significant defects" when it was last inspected 11 months before the disaster.

The inquests continue.