Liverpool take on Manchester City in the FA Youth Cup final on Thursday as they aim to lift the trophy for a fourth time.

Kick-off at City's Academy Stadium is at 7.45pm BST and the game will be decided on the night through extra-time and penalties if necessary.

The young Reds have overcome Portsmouth, Accrington Stanley, Wigan Athletic, Bury and Watford to reach the final, which is a repeat of the 2006 showpiece.

That year, Liverpool beat City 3-2 over two legs. After a 3-0 victory at Anfield, a certain Daniel Sturridge was on the mark for City in the second game, but the young Reds held on to win.

Read on for the lowdown on how Liverpool reached their first Youth Cup final since 2009…

Third round: Portsmouth (H), won 3-2

Bobby Duncan netted a dramatic stoppage-time winner as Liverpool edged Pompey in St Helens. Duncan opened the scoring before turning provider with a superb assist for Abdi Sharif to make it 2-0. A spirited Portsmouth outfit came back, though, and were soon level but with extra-time looming, Paul Glatzel set up Duncan to win it.

Fourth round: Accrington Stanley (H), won 4-0

Glatzel struck a brilliant hat-trick and Rhys Williams also powered home a header as Lewtas' side eased into the next round with a comfortable victory in St Helens.

Fifth round: Wigan Athletic (H), won 2-0

Once again, prolific duo Glatzel and Duncan proved the difference in a tight tie at Chester FC's Swansway Stadium. Captain Glatzel opened the scoring with a spectacular strike and Duncan made it 2-0 with a clinical finish to make sure of a quarter-final spot.

Quarter-final: Bury (A), won 5-1 

Liverpool stormed into the last four with a comprehensive win over Bury at Gigg Lane. Glatzel netted twice, Williams grabbed another goal and Jake Cain also scored.

The goal of the night belonged to Duncan - although it was with special thanks to his strike partner. Glatzel was clean through on goal and looked set to complete his hat-trick, but the skipper instead squared to Duncan, who slotted into the empty net.

“That summed up what we are all about,” a beaming Lewtas said after the game.

Semi-final: Watford (H), won 2-1

Anfield was the stage for a last-four win over Watford. The final scoreline didn't tell the full story as Liverpool dominated throughout and could have scored more.

In the end, Glatzel's double at the Kop end - which took his tally in the competition to eight - proved enough to secure a place in the final. 


Barry Lewtas' guide to his FA Youth Cup final squad