With Liverpool taking on Manchester United in an all-English Europa League last-16 tie at Anfield tonight, enjoy our summary of the club's previous meetings with familiar faces in European competitions.

Liverpool 0-1 Leeds United, Anfield – April 14, 1971

In the first leg of the European Fairs Cup semi-final, Bill Shankly’s Liverpool were pitted against Don Revie’s Yorkshire outfit.

The visitors grabbed themselves an important advantage in the 67th minute through Billy Bremner - who 24 hours before had featured in a trial match against non-league Bradford and was only called up to the squad as an emergency replacement.

The goal left the Kop stunned and Shankly bemoaned his team’s lack of proficiency in front of goal following a number of wasted opportunities. “If you miss chances like we did you do not deserve to win,” he said afterwards.

Leeds United 0-0 Liverpool, Elland Road – April 28, 1971

The return fixture was equally as poised as the game a fortnight before.

Despite the Reds’ utmost efforts to pull themselves level, Leeds were a difficult side to break down and played out a goalless draw to reach the final of the tournament in its last year of existence before being replaced by the UEFA Cup.

Leeds would go on to win the trophy by beating Juventus on away goals in a two-legged final.

Liverpool 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur, Anfield – April 10, 1973

Liverpool were up against the holders of the UEFA Cup in the semi-finals of the competition.

The Reds dominated the encounter but were left disappointed by only earning a one-goal advantage heading into the second leg.

Defender Alec Lindsay broke the deadlock after 17 minutes and the hosts, on the whole, should have added to the scoreline.

Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Liverpool, White Hart Lane – April 25, 1973

Instead of sitting on their lead and inviting pressure, Liverpool went on the attack in the first half and were unfortunate not to add to their first-leg lead.

But the tie turned four minutes after the break when Martin Peters broke the deadlock and made it 1-1 on aggregate, before Steve Heighway netted an important away goal for Liverpool.

Peters added a second but the Reds were still ahead on the away goals rule and managed to hold on and secure progression to the final.

Shankly said: “Before the goal they gave a tremendous exhibition. Then it blew up into flames and it was all hell’s fire at the end.”

Nottingham Forest 2-0 Liverpool, City Ground – September 13, 1978

Brian Clough’s Forest side were Liverpool’s opponents in the first round of the European Cup.

The Reds were the holders and looking to complete a hat-trick but their hopes of achieving that feat were dented with a disappointing night in Nottingham.

Gary Birtles scored after 26 minutes and Liverpool still had a fighting chance while one down only for Colin Barrett to grab a late second just three minutes from time to leave the Reds with a mountain to climb.

Liverpool 0-0 Nottingham Forest, Anfield – September 27, 1978

Defender Phil Thompson still believed Liverpool could turn things around with the help of the fans, but those inside a packed Anfield were unable to spark a comeback.

Forest frustrated the 52,000 spectators and shut up shop to secure their place in the next round.

Bob Paisley was in a defiant mood after crashing out, saying: “We are still the best team in Europe.”

Clough said ‘we want to emulate Liverpool’ in the European Cup – and his side did go on to follow in their footsteps by beating Malmo in the final.

Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool, Stamford Bridge – April 27, 2005

It would be more than 26 years later before Liverpool faced English competition in Europe again and in order for Rafael Benitez’s Reds to reach the Champions League final, they would first have to overcome a strong Chelsea under Jose Mourinho.

The first leg was a tight affair and the Premier League champions were frustrated by a solid defensive display by those in red.

Liverpool kept it an even tie heading into the second leg at Anfield a week later.

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea, Anfield – May 3, 2005

Luis Garcia fired the Reds into their first European Cup final in 20 years with his goal after four minutes.

In a truly special atmosphere at Anfield, Liverpool withstood everything Chelsea threw at them to secure their place in Istanbul.

Benitez said after the game: “We worked hard, had the fans behind us and we believed right until the end.

“We played a good game in the first leg, a good game in the second leg and we have qualified and done a good job.”

The history books were in Liverpool’s favour, as the winners of their three previous all-English ties in European competitions had all gone on to lift the trophy.

Liverpool 0-0 Chelsea, Anfield – September 28, 2005

Liverpool were paired with a familiar foe in the group stage of the 2005-06 Champions League campaign.

The Reds were without country protection in the draw for the groups after UEFA granted them special dispensation to defend the trophy.

The first affair between the sides was a cagey one with few opportunities in front of goal for either side.

Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool, Stamford Bridge – December 6, 2005

Liverpool earned a hard-fought point to secure top spot in the group following another stalemate.

The Reds were unbeaten in Group G and went into the tie knowing a draw would be good enough to hold onto first place in the standings.

Up to that point, the four European clashes between the two sides had only produced a single goal.

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool, Stamford Bridge – April 25, 2007

In another Champions League semi-final meeting between the two clubs, Joe Cole gave the Blues a narrow margin following the first leg.

The midfielder put the hosts up after 29 minutes and goalkeeper Pepe Reina prevented Chelsea from adding to their lead with two wonderful saves.

At the other end, Steven Gerrard was denied a leveller by a stunning save from Petr Cech in the second half. The result set up another fascinating Anfield return fixture.

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea (4-1 on penalties), Anfield – May 1, 2007

A famous European spectacle at Anfield saw Liverpool cancel out Chelsea’s advantage after 22 minutes through Daniel Agger.

The scores were level on aggregate and extra-time was forced, where Dirk Kuyt had a goal chalked off before a penalty shootout was called for to separate the sides.

The Reds were perfect with their spot-kicks, while Arjen Robben and Geremi missed for the Blues. Kuyt netted the crucial penalty to book a place in the Champions League final in Athens.

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool, Emirates Stadium – April 2, 2008

Liverpool faced Arsenal over two legs in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Arsenal broke the deadlock in the first half through Emmanuel Adebayor before Kuyt levelled three minutes later.

The Reds held onto the draw and headed into the Anfield second leg with a crucial away goal advantage.

Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal, Anfield – April 8, 2008

It was another one of those famous European nights at Anfield when Liverpool faced Arsene Wenger’s side with a spot in the semi-finals on the line.

Events started badly for the Reds when Abou Diaby put the Gunners into the lead but Sami Hyypia headed Liverpool level in the first half.

After the break, Fernando Torres looked to have won it before Theo Walcott went on a mazy run and crossed for Adebayor to put the visitors ahead in the tie.

The frantic affair then took another turn when Gerrard held his nerve from the penalty spot to give Liverpool the lead again.

Ryan Babel added a fourth to send the Kop into delirium and secure yet another date with Chelsea in Europe.

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea, Anfield – April 22, 2008

Three out of the past four seasons had seen the two teams face each other in the semi-finals of the competition.

This time the first leg was played at Anfield, along with a different opposing manager in the dugout.

Avram Grant found his team behind right before the interval after a close-range finish from Kuyt.

And it seemed like Liverpool were going to take that advantage to Stamford Bridge until John Arne Riise’s own goal five minutes into injury time gave Chelsea an important away goal.

Chelsea 3-2 Liverpool, Stamford Bridge – April 30, 2008

After Didier Drogba gave the Blues the lead 33 minutes in, Chelsea were well on their way to final in Moscow.

However, Torres’ strike forced extra-time, but that was where the Blues would go on to assert their dominance.

Frank Lampard netted from the spot and Drogba added a second before Babel scored a stunner to set up a tense finale.

The hosts held onto their place in Russia but Benitez was pleased with the display of his men, saying “We could not capitalise and their goals killed us. I'm still proud.”

Liverpool 1-3 Chelsea, Anfield – April 8, 2009

The two sides met at the quarter-final stage of the Champions League.

Guus Hiddink's team stunned Anfield with a comeback win after Torres gave Liverpool the lead.

The Reds were left with an uphill task in the second leg following a brace by Branislav Ivanovic and a strike from Drogba.

Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool, Stamford Bridge – April 14, 2009

Liverpool had huge amount of work to do to try to turn around the tie, though a free-kick from Fabio Aurelio and penalty scored by Xabi Alonso gave the Reds that hope.

However, Chelsea struck three times to regain their comfortable lead in the tie.

Benitez’s side would not go down quietly, though, and Lucas Leiva and Kuyt found the net to leave the Reds requiring just one goal to progress.

But Lampard then scored his second of the night, dashing any hopes for the visitors of a historic comeback.

“We’re disappointed because we scored four goals away from home and didn’t win. I’m proud of the players and the fans,” Benitez said in his post-match comments.