Ahead of Liverpool's 12th League Cup final appearance this weekend, we are recapping their previous experiences in the competition's showpiece fixture - today's edition explains how the Reds made it three in a row in the early 80s.

Liverpool 3-1 Tottenham Hotspur – March 13, 1982 – Wembley

Ronnie Whelan was the hero as the Reds held onto the League Cup for another year by beating Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 in dramatic fashion at Wembley on March 13, 1982.

Bob Paisley’s charges came up against a formidable Spurs side, who had defeated Manchester United and Nottingham Forest to reach the final.

Their opponents were also holders of the FA Cup and would retain their crown a few months later.

Liverpool, meanwhile, had notably beaten Arsenal and Ipswich Town en route to the final.

On the day, Spurs took the lead after 11 minutes through Steve Archibald, before Whelan levelled with just three minutes left of the 90 to force extra-time.

Paisley then famously ordered his players to stand up ahead of the additional half-hour to make a point that his players were not tired and were prepared for the battle.

That fighting spirit showed when the Irish midfielder beat former Reds goalkeeper Ray Clemence for the second time to make it 2-1, while Ian Rush sealed the victory late on with his first of many goals at the national stadium.

Whelan won the first medal of his career that day - in his debut appearance at Wembley - and later admitted that he had struggled to sleep in the build-up to the occasion.

He said: “I couldn’t sleep the night before but I remember saying afterwards that I had dreamt I would score the winner!

“It was my first trip to Wembley and a massive test. Tottenham had a great side with players like Glenn Hoddle, Micky Hazard and Ossie Ardiles.

“I was so over the moon after getting my second that I ran over the running track to celebrate with our fans. Only when I got there did I realise it was such a long way back to the pitch and I was so tired that I barely made it.”

Liverpool 2-1 Manchester United – March 26, 1983 – Wembley

Liverpool made history when they became the first team to win three League Cups in a row by beating Manchester United in Paisley’s last ever final with the club.

Once again, Whelan was the star as he scored the winner in the eighth minute of extra-time at Wembley.

In familiar League Cup final fashion, the Reds had to come from behind after Norman Whiteside gave United the lead with 12 minutes gone.

However, Alan Kennedy levelled proceedings in the second half to force an extra 30 minutes of play – which allowed Whelan to repeat his heroics of the previous year with a wonderful curling effort to land Liverpool the crown again.

Graeme Souness then sportingly gave up the tradition of the skipper lifting the trophy and paved the way for Paisley to collect the honour, following the manager’s announcement that he would be retiring at the end of the season.

Goalscorer Kennedy remembers a tight affair, with only a moment of brilliance from his teammate being the difference.

He said: “I remember a fantastic game between two closely-matched sides. It was only in extra-time that we got on top, when Ronnie Whelan settled it with a fantastic goal.

“As we had won it the previous two years, it had become a special competition and the gloss was applied when Graeme Souness insisted that Bob Paisley go up to collect the cup. It was a fitting tribute to a legend.”