The Hillsborough inquests commenced on March 31, 2014 and are the subject of reporting restrictions that have been imposed by the Attorney General's office. Liverpool Football Club is respectful of these restrictions and will therefore only be making available updates from other media channels for the duration of the inquest.

The report below - and the witness testimony contained within it - does not necessarily reflect the views of Liverpool FC. Please be aware that the reports on these pages will contain evidence about the day of the disaster which may be distressing.

To view archive reports from each day of the inquest hearings, click here.

Courtesy of the BBC - May 13

A former police officer who saw the body of the Hillsborough disaster's youngest victim has described the scene as "like walking into hell".

Ex-inspector Philip Woodward was giving evidence about 10-year-old Jon-Paul Gilhooley's death at the new inquests.

The jury heard how Jon-Paul, a cousin of Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, went to the 1989 match with his uncles.

Two men with him in the crush described how they "screamed" and "shouted" that they had a child with them.

Ninety-six fans died after crushing on the Leppings Lane terraces at the stadium in Sheffield on 15 April, 1989.

Mr Woodward, who went into pen three at around 15:15, told the court: "When I did manage to get in there, with the number of bodies that were on the ground, it was very difficult to work in that environment.

"As I say, it was quite horrific and it was just like walking into hell."

He added: "There were bodies on the ground. I saw a young boy, probably aged around 10 - a similar age to my own son - amongst a pile of bodies in what I would call the well area just between the fencing, the gate and where the steps led up to the terracing."

In Mr Woodward's opinion, he said, Jon-Paul was dead when he saw him.

The jury heard Jon-Paul was 4ft 9in tall, weighed 5st 9lb and was wearing a red and blue jacket top, blue denim shirt and blue jeans.

His uncle Brian was offered a spare ticket on the morning of the match and decided to take Jon-Paul.

The boy went into the pen on Leppings Lane with Rodney Jolly, a friend of the family.

Mr Jolly, who grew up with Jon-Paul's uncles, said: "It was comfortable first off, you know, and then it started getting quite uncomfortable and tighter.

"It was all the actual surges that caused Jon-Paul and I to feel uncomfortable. I probably asked him if he was ok, you know, sort of thing.

"It started getting more uncomfortable and tighter and tighter and then you couldn't breathe. It was terrible."

The inquests, held in Warrington, Cheshire, continue.