Though his career may still be in its relative infancy, Suso has already experienced enough as a professional to know that what occurred at Anfield on Tuesday night was something far out of the ordinary.

With 120 minutes of football not enough to separate Liverpool and Middlesbrough in a pulsating Capital One Cup encounter, a penalty shootout of record-breaking proportions ensued to decide a place in the fourth round of the competition.

Four consecutive successes had carried the Reds to the brink of progress, until Raheem Sterling's potential winner was saved, and soon an extended period of clinical precision took sudden death to a scoreline of 13-13.

Up stepped Suso, having already planted a spot-kick beyond the reach of Jamal Blackman during the opening round of attempts, to edge Brendan Rodgers' team ahead again and - when Albert Adomah subsequently fired wide - into the next stage.

The 20-year-old, trying to explain the events, told after the final whistle: "When we were watching and taking the penalties, everyone was saying: 'When is someone going to miss?'

"I have never seen so many penalties in my life. We took them really well, and Simon [Mignolet] was good as well. It's not that easy when you put the ball on the grass and see the crowd behind.

"Obviously they are supporting you because we are at home, but I was really nervous. It was the first time I have taken a penalty in a situation like that. I knew where I was going to put the penalty and if the goalkeeper saved it, then it's unlucky."

Watch the video here »

The Spanish midfielder, who spent the whole of last season on loan in his home country, had only entered the action as a substitute eight minutes into extra time, recording his first appearance of the new campaign in the process.

Yet shortly after, it was his driven blast beneath a mass of Middlesbrough bodies that restored Liverpool's slender advantage and appeared to have settled the clash. At least until Patrick Bamford won and scored a penalty to force the aforementioned shootout.

"I came on and obviously I tried to do the best that I could," continued the Reds' No.30, whose strike was his first for the club at senior level. "I was lucky to score the goal.

"The game was really good - we were keeping the ball, we were playing really well and having some chances as well. But in the last minute we conceded a penalty.

"In another situation maybe it wouldn't have happened, but it happened. They didn't really have any good chances in extra time, and in the penalties we were really good.

"I haven't played in a long time. Being on the pitch after a long time, I was really happy. And after the goal, I was over the moon.

"Now I have scored a goal, with a good performance, it's the manager who decides. I am going to be there. If he wants to use me again, I will be there."

Given the plethora of fixtures ahead for the players to navigate, as has been the case in recent weeks, it is unlikely to be too long before Rodgers does utilise the talents of Suso once more.

The youngster himself is keen to contribute to the team's ambitions of improving on a frustrating beginning to 2014-15 that has included three defeats in the Barclays Premier League.

"Maybe we're not having a comfortable week because of the last Premier League game and people weren't too happy," he concluded.

"But we know that we have the best supporters in the Premier League and the world. This win is very important because we went through.

"Liverpool have to be in all of the competitions and do well in every competition. The manager is working really well with us and sooner or later we will see the results."