U23s reach Lancashire Senior Cup final after putting four past Blackpool

Match reportU23s reach Lancashire Senior Cup final after putting four past Blackpool



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Liverpool U23s reached the final of the Lancashire Senior Cup after defeating Blackpool 4-1 on Monday afternoon.

The young Reds set up a showpiece with Burnley thanks to goals from Jack Bearne, Jarell Quansah, Tyler Morton and Leighton Clarkson at the Kirkby Academy.

Efforts from Bearne, Quansah and Morton had Barry Lewtas' side 3-0 up at half-time against a Blackpool side consisting of a mix of youth and first-team players.

Jerry Yates pulled one back for the visitors in the second period, though Clarkson's late finish made sure of the victory.

Lewtas' team now have the chance to deliver the club's first triumph in the competition since 2016-17.

The hosts made a strong start and got themselves ahead with fewer than 10 minutes on the clock.

Clarkson did brilliantly in a central area before finding Max Woltman out on the left. The No.9 slipped the in-form Bearne through on goal and he then slotted the ball into the far corner.

Clarkson, again, played a vital role in the creation of Liverpool's second, with his out-swinging corner flicked in at the near post by Quansah.

James Balagizi and Owen Beck went close to making it 3-0, but the third goal would arrive in spectacular fashion.

Morton found space around 20 yards out, where he hit a right-footed rifle across goal that was on the rise before striking the back of the net.

Marcelo Pitaluga made a good save to deny Jake Daniels, as Liverpool nearly carried a 4-0 scoreline at half-time.

Bearne's effort from a tight angle was blocked by goalkeeper Stuart Moore, with Reece James clearing the rebound for a corner. From the resulting set-piece, Quansah made the same near-post run again, only this time Moore was able to keep the centre-half's header out.

Lewtas' charges were playing against the wind and a fired-up opposition in the second half.

Blackpool earned themselves a lifeline in the contest when Yates was on hand to nudge home Owen Dale's whipped cross from the left-hand side.

Pitaluga then ensured it stayed 3-1 with a strong hand to palm away Jake Beesley's curling shot.

Any hopes of a turnaround were extinguished with three minutes remaining.

Clarkson drove from deep and released Bearne on the left wing. The opening goalscorer searched for his second but his effort at goal was parried out by the 'keeper, with Clarkson on hand to convert the rebound and seal the semi-final win.

Liverpool U23s: Pitaluga, Bradley (Wilson, 88), Williams, Quansah, Beck, Clarkson, Morton, Corness (Clayton, 81), Balagizi, Bearne, Woltman (Norris, 68).

Unused substitute: Kelly.



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram