Liverpool play out Premier League draw with Crystal Palace

Match reportLiverpool play out Premier League draw with Crystal Palace

By Joe Urquhart at Selhurst Park


Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Liverpool played out a 0-0 draw with Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park in the Premier League on Saturday night.

Both sides battled for supremacy but were unable to find the all-important goal to separate the two teams.

Jean-Philippe Mateta struck the woodwork for the hosts in the first half, while Mohamed Salah also saw an effort cannon back from the crossbar after the interval.

It was as close as either side would go to breaking the deadlock in the capital, as the points were shared.

WATCH | Crystal Palace 0-0 Liverpool: Match action

Team news

Diogo Jota started as Liverpool made four changes for the clash against the Eagles.

The forward replaced the injured Darwin Nunez in the XI, while Naby Keita, Joel Matip and James Milner were also selected.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold (Fabinho, 71), Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Milner, Keita (Elliott, 46), Jota (Firmino, 72), Salah, Gakpo (Bajcetic, 85).

Unused subs: Kelleher, Jones, Tsimikas, Carvalho, Williams.

First half

The opening exchanges passed without incident under the lights, though it was Salah who fired the first warning shot past the near post following good play from Cody Gakpo.

At the opposite end, Mateta attempted to capitalise on a loose defensive pass, but was met by Alisson Becker who rushed out to force the striker into an early effort that was brushed wide.

Jota then had a driven volley well held by Vicente Guaita after good build-up down the left by Andy Robertson, before later striking the outside of the post from close range following a free-kick that Matip hooked back across goal.

Palace went close themselves through Marc Guehi, with the defender flashing a header past Alisson’s post at pace amid a similar set-piece delivery from out wide.

The hosts finished the half on stronger footing, hitting the bar through Mateta from inside the box after Salah had earlier been denied on the break by Guaita once more.

Second half

The Reds started on the front foot, seeing Salah hit the bar just four minutes after the interval as the ball broke to the forward inside the box.

Trent Alexander-Arnold also forced Guaita into more action while Jota drove an effort over the bar after clever footwork.

With 20 minutes remaining, Roberto Firmino and Fabinho were introduced from the bench in a bid to freshen up proceedings.

Both teams continued to battle for dominance, Palace shooting wide of the mark through Jeffrey Schlupp, while Firmino was earlier left inches from a cushioned Robertson header.

Gakpo then saw a dinked effort fly wide late on in the last of the Reds’ meaningful forward action, having been met by the onrushing Guaita which forced the stray shot following Salah’s pass.



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

This article has been automatically translated and, while all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure accuracy, some errors in translation are possible. Please refer to the original English-language version of the article for the official version.