Liverpool exit FA Cup after dramatic 4-3 defeat at Old Trafford

Match reportLiverpool exit FA Cup after dramatic 4-3 defeat at Old Trafford

By Chris Shaw at Old Trafford


Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Liverpool’s Emirates FA Cup bid for this season came to an end after a 4-3 defeat away at Manchester United on Sunday.

The scoring in the quarter-final tie at Old Trafford began with 10 on the clock as Scott McTominay was in the right place to convert a rebound for the home team.

But after Wataru Endo had seen a goal chalked off for the Reds, they struck twice on the cusp of half-time to take control – Alexis Mac Allister and Mohamed Salah the providers.

Liverpool seemed the likelier to score again in the second period but it was United who did, substitute Antony netting three minutes from the end to force an additional half-hour.

Harvey Elliott benefited from a deflection to put the visitors back in front on 105, but Marcus Rashford responded after the extra-time interval and Amad raced away to win it for United just seconds beyond 120.


Jürgen Klopp made three changes to his starting XI as Virgil van Dijk, Mac Allister and Luis Diaz came back into the side. The bench, meanwhile, was bolstered by the inclusion of Ryan Gravenberch, returning to the squad after an injury.

Liverpool: Kelleher, Gomez (Tsimikas, 101), Endo, Van Dijk, Diaz (Clark, 114), Szoboszlai (Elliott, 71), Nunez, Mac Allister, Salah (Gakpo, 76), Robertson (Bradley, 76), Quansah.

Unused substitutes: Adrian, Gravenberch, McConnell, Danns.

First half

United came out of the traps quickly and Liverpool needed Caoimhin Kelleher to get a firm left glove on Rashford’s curling effort from the edge of the box.

The Reds were a whisker away from opening the scoring in sensational style on nine minutes.

Darwin Nunez pinged an excellent right-to-left pass into the home penalty box and Salah met the ball with a full volley back across goal that fell inches wide of the post.

And when the action swung back in the other direction, United got the first goal.

Alejandro Garnacho was sprung into space on the left side of the Liverpool area and though his strike was pushed out by Kelleher, the rebound was clipped home by McTominay yards out.

Andy Robertson was in the thick of it at either end in the aftermath, producing a vital block on Garnacho at close range before hooking a finish too high from a Reds counter-attack.

Dominik Szoboszlai sliced a low shot into the arms of Andre Onana and Kelleher plucked in a Bruno Fernandes 25-yarder as the duel continued.

Both goalkeepers rose to tougher challenges soon after. Kelleher stood up strong to repel McTominay’s side-footer from the centre of the box, and Onana denied Diaz at his near post.

Klopp’s men had the ball in the United net in minute 37 as Endo followed up a one-two with Salah by rolling a finish into the left corner. But the offside flag was raised and the decision upheld after a VAR review.

Nevertheless, the Reds got themselves not only level but in front before half-time.

First, Jarell Quansah’s maraud forward from deep opened up a chance within the box that saw Nunez lay a cool assist back to Mac Allister, who whipped a strike inside the right post with Onana beaten.

And then as Liverpool pressed on in first-half added time, Nunez’s effort from the left of goal was parried by Onana and landed for Salah. The Egyptian cracked the rebound home off the woodwork to stun Old Trafford.

Second half

As rain began to fall in Manchester, the frantic nature of the contest was maintained.

Nunez was soon powering down the right-hand side and reaching the byline, from where his low cross almost snuck into the net, Onana reacting well to palm the ball out.

Fernandes threatened when he bounded into the left side of the Reds box and, via a lunging recovery tackle from Quansah, sent a strike spinning off target.

Nunez prodded wide when fed in behind by Salah, then Onana touched away a low Szoboszlai drive and thwarted a thump from Nunez on the angle.

Liverpool persisted in the search for what would likely have been a game-clinching third goal, while largely keeping United at arm’s length at the other end.

However, Erik ten Hag’s team hauled themselves level in the 87th minute as Antony turned on the ball inside the area and threaded a strike into the right corner.

Either side could still have won it in normal time, Elliott seeing a sliced cross bounce off the post and Rashford side-footing wide when one-on-one with Kelleher.


There was nothing cagey about this edition of extra-time and United carved out a big chance when Garnacho’s flick off the heel down the left found the supporting run of Victor Lindelof, who sent a whack into the side-netting.

Momentum swung back to the Reds in minute 105, though.

Good work by Conor Bradley cutting in from the flank moved possession to Elliott and his punt from distance took a heavy deflection off Christian Eriksen and sailed into the left corner for 3-2.

Kelleher punched away a Harry Maguire attempt but was then beaten by Rashford as he guided in from McTominay’s pass after Liverpool had squandered the ball.

The same pair then reversed roles in a move that saw McTominay played through in the middle of the box, only for his poked finish to drift wide.

As the contest reached added time in extra-time, Amad launched a United counter-attack and squeezed a low effort past Kelleher to send his side through.



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram