Match reportLiverpool beaten by Leeds United in Youth Cup quarter-final

By Sam Williams


Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Liverpool U18s' FA Youth Cup campaign ended at the quarter-final stage as they lost 3-1 to Leeds United at Elland Road on Thursday night.

A changed young Reds side – shorn of Jayden Danns, Lewis Koumas and Trey Nyoni following their exploits for the senior team 24 hours earlier – conceded either side of half-time, with Rhys Chadwick and Freddie Lane getting the goals for the hosts.

Chadwick then drilled home his second of the evening with 20 minutes remaining, before Trent Kone-Doherty netted a late consolation with an excellent half-volley.

Leeds enjoyed the better of the opening stages and a goalline block from captain Josh Davidson, which denied Daniel Toulson, was required to keep Liverpool on level terms after Kornel Misciur had parried away an inswinging corner.

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson’s team grew into the contest, though, and were unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty when Leeds full-back Joe Richards handled a pass by debutant DJ Esdaille that was bound for Kone-Doherty.

Few chances were being created at either end as the sides traded spells of possession, but Leeds edged in front with 34 minutes played.

Max McFadden dispossessed Davidson inside the area before squaring to Chadwick, and his low finish crawled over the line despite a valiant attempt at a sliding clearance from the Liverpool skipper.

That goal provided the hosts with a boost, and Marley Wilson and Josh McDonald missed presentable opportunities to extend their lead before the half concluded with Kieran Morrison whipping a fine left-footed effort narrowly off target at the other end.


Just eight minutes after the restart, Leeds had doubled their advantage when the lively McFadden surged down the left flank and stood up a cross for Lane, who nodded home at the back post.

Kone-Doherty dragged a shot wide and Liverpool substitute Afolami Onanuga saw an attempt saved by Leeds goalkeeper Rory Mahady prior to the hosts making it 3-0 through Chadwick, who hammered in the rebound after Misciur had thwarted McDonald.

The tie was, in effect, over at that point, but Bridge-Wilkinson’s side resolved to prevent any further damage to the scoreline and would reduce the deficit in the 89th minute when Kone-Doherty struck.


Misciur, Esdaille (Gyimah, 63), Pinnington, Pitt, Davidson, Kelly (Onanuga, 46), Kone-Doherty, Pennington, Ahmed (Young, 73), Laffey, Morrison.

Unused subs: Hall, Enahoro-Marcus, Sonni-Lambie, Bradshaw.


The U18s return to league action with a trip to Middlesbrough on Saturday March 9 (1pm GMT kick-off).



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

This article has been automatically translated and, while all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure accuracy, some errors in translation are possible. Please refer to the original English-language version of the article for the official version.