Liverpool beaten away at Brighton in Premier League

Match reportLiverpool beaten away at Brighton in Premier League



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Liverpool were beaten 3-0 by Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League on Saturday afternoon.

Match action: Liverpool v Brighton

Solly March scored twice for the hosts in the second period at the American Express Community Stadium, while Danny Welbeck added a third late on.

Team news

Liverpool made one change as Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain moved into the starting line-up in place of the injured Darwin Nunez.

James Milner and Curtis Jones also return on the bench for the fixture.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip (Gomez, 69), Konate, Robertson, Fabinho (Keita, 69), Thiago, Henderson (Elliott, 69), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Doak, 69), Salah, Gakpo.

Subs: Kelleher, Milner, Jones, Tsimikas, Carvalho.

First half

Brighton signalled the first intent of the encounter, as Trent Alexander-Arnold cleared a March shot away in the six-yard box inside the opening 10 minutes.

Cody Gakpo saw a shot blocked in response in the opposite area, while Mohamed Salah lifted an effort over the bar after a quick break, before later forcing a double save from goalkeeper Robert Sanchez.

Kaoru Mitoma also threatened for the Seagulls as the two sides battled for possession – twice shooting wide of Alisson Becker’s goal from inside the area.

On the stroke of half-time, the home side were initially awarded a penalty after March was brought down in the area, though VAR intervened with the attacker adjudged to have been offside in the build-up.

Second half

Following the interval, Brighton opened the scoring a minute into the second period as they won possession inside the Reds' half.

Mitoma advanced into the area and squared for March, who found the back of the net from close range to break the deadlock.

The home side then doubled their advantage seven minutes later, as March again struck thanks to a low finish into the corner of the goal from inside the box.

With 20 minutes remaining, the Reds opted to make a quadruple change with Ben Doak, Harvey Elliott, Naby Keita and Joe Gomez introduced.

Elliott instantly saw a shot fall the wrong side of the post in response, while Gakpo attempted to scramble the ball home though was swarmed in his efforts by Sanchez.

Brighton, however, completed the scoring as substitute Welbeck added a third goal from inside the six-yard box in the 81st minute.



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

This article has been automatically translated and, while all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure accuracy, some errors in translation are possible. Please refer to the original English-language version of the article for the official version.