Liverpool beaten away at Arsenal in Premier League

Match reportLiverpool beaten away at Arsenal in Premier League



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Liverpool were beaten 3-2 by Arsenal at Emirates Stadium in the Premier League on Sunday afternoon.

Bukayo Saka's penalty in the 76th minute proved to be the winner in an end-to-end contest in the capital.

The Gunners opened the scoring early on through Gabriel Martinelli before Darwin Nunez equalised for the visitors in the 34th minute.

Saka grabbed his first of the day to put his side 2-1 ahead in first-half added time, which drew a leveller from Roberto Firmino not long after the restart.

But Saka's spot-kick was enough to secure the three points and send Mikel Arteta's team back to the top of the table.

Watch match action: Arsenal 3-2 Liverpool

  • Want to watch this video? Subscribe to LFCTV GO now and you’ll also get first-team highlights and audio commentary, live Academy football, documentaries, boxsets and much more

Team news

Jürgen Klopp deployed the same line-up that defeated Rangers 2-0 at Anfield in the Champions League during midweek.

Alisson, Alexander-Arnold (Gomez, 46), Matip (Konate, 69), Van Dijk, Tsimikas, Henderson, Thiago, Diaz (Firmino, 42), Salah (Fabinho, 69), Jota (Elliott, 81), Nunez.

Unused substitutes: Kelleher, Milner, Carvalho, Phillips.

First half

The Gunners made the perfect start to the game, taking the lead after just 58 seconds.

Martinelli placed a finish beyond Alisson Becker, having been played in by a well-executed threaded pass from Martin Odegaard following a breakaway.

It took a while for Liverpool to truly get going in the affair but they created their first opening after 26 minutes and enjoyed a strong spell afterwards.

Nunez's hit from a Mohamed Salah pass down the sides was parried out by Aaron Ramsdale in the Arsenal net.

Ramsdale was called into action a few moments later when William Saliba nearly directed a cross from Nunez into the Gunners' goal.

But the deserved equaliser then arrived in minute 34 when a sliding Nunez poked beyond the Arsenal stopper from Luis Diaz's whip across the penalty area.

The Reds were forced into a change before the break as Firmino came on for Diaz, who was unable to continue with an apparent injury.

And another blow was dealt shortly before referee Michael Oliver blew his half-time whistle.

Arsenal countered from a Liverpool free-kick, with Martinelli concluding a charging run by crossing to the back post, where Saka was positioned to tap in.

Second half

Arsenal could have made it 3-1 not long after the restart but Odegaard's effort from the edge of the box was straight at Alisson.

Liverpool took advantage of that particular let-off and equalised again eight minutes into the second period.

Diogo Jota dropped deep and played a brilliant pass in between the Arsenal backline that found Firmino, whose first-time strike arrowed into the far corner of the goal.

Moments after Alisson pulled off a double save, the hosts regained the lead again courtesy of a spot-kick – which turned out to be the match-clinching moment.

With Thiago Alcantara ruled to have fouled Gabriel Jesus in the penalty area, Saka stepped up to take responsibility and his effort beat the outstretched arm of the Liverpool goalkeeper.



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

This article has been automatically translated and, while all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure accuracy, some errors in translation are possible. Please refer to the original English-language version of the article for the official version.