Liverpool clinch comeback victory at Manchester United in WSL

Match reportLiverpool clinch comeback victory at Manchester United in WSL

By Andy Kelly at Leigh Sports Village


Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Liverpool completed their 2023 Barclays Women’s Super League fixtures with a 2-1 victory against Manchester United at Leigh Sports Village on Sunday.

After going behind early, a first-half own goal from Millie Turner brought the Reds level at the break, before captain Taylor Hinds completed the turnaround with a 68th-minute winner.

It was Liverpool’s first ever victory over United in the WSL and brought Matt Beard’s side level on points with them in the league table going into the Christmas break.

The Reds started the match just one place behind United but hopes of closing that gap took an early blow, with the home side ahead with just three minutes on the clock.

Hayley Ladd’s through ball found Leah Galton, with the flag staying down, and she raced in on goal to hit the post under a fine challenge from Jenna Clark. The loose ball, however, was worked to Ella Toone, who made no mistake from close range.

It almost got worse for the visitors just two minutes later. A short backpass from Emma Koivisto left goalkeeper Teagan Micah stranded but Melvine Malard could only hit the side-netting from a tight angle.

It was Melissa Lawley who offered the first threat for Liverpool. The winger made a fine run down the right on nine minutes, the first of many fine crosses finding Hinds, whose shot was deflected wide.

Another good team move 10 minutes later put Ceri Holland away on the left and her cross needed a last-ditch clearance from Millie Turner, with Sophie Roman Haug lurking.

United, though, were still offering a threat and could have stretched their lead twice in two minutes.

Toone headed wide after the Reds failed to clear away on the left side of their box on 20 minutes, before Missy Bo Kearns lost possession a minute later, allowing Malard in to blast wide under pressure from Clark.

Turner was going to be a significant figure in the rest of the half, first heading against the bar for United from Katie Zelem’s corner with 27 minutes gone.

Five minutes later, however, the tall centre-back scored at the wrong end.

Again it was Lawley who was the creator, her run and cross attacked by Koivisto, who just missed the ball before it struck Turner and sailed into the net.



It could have been even better for Liverpool after another quality delivery from Lawley with five minutes left in the half.

Several players went for the ball in the box but it dropped to Kearns, whose lovely volley was somehow kept out by Mary Earps.

It was Liverpool who had the first big chance of the second half, with their skipper the provider.

Hinds’ cross from the left found Holland on her own just outside the six-yard box but Turner recovered quickly to block the shot for a corner.

The delivery from Kearns forced Earps to claw away from under her crossbar, while the ball was headed off the line when the ball was played back in – followed by a huge scramble, which United somehow survived with an hour gone.

It was no surprise when Liverpool took the lead eight minutes later.

Substitute Marie Höbinger delivered a corner from the right and Hinds was unmarked to divert past Earps with the inside of her knee.

Two minutes later and the lead was almost doubled, Höbinger’s curling cross headed just wide by Roman Haug.

United stirred and it took a good clearance from Gemma Bonner to preserve the lead after a break down the right.

Substitute Geyse Da Silva Ferreira headed wide from a Zelem free-kick with 15 minutes left, before a worrying head injury to Bonner as she made a typically brave clearance in her own box.

The Reds’ record appearance holder received several minutes of treatment before being helped from the field.

Micah saved well from a shot from Hannah Blundell and the fourth official’s board showed 12 minutes for the away team to last out for the victory.

They did with few alarms, with Leanne Kiernan almost grabbing a third, to send the Reds supporters in the 6,303 crowd home happy.


Liverpool: Micah, Koivisto, Fisk, Clark, Bonner (Kiernan, 87), Hinds, Nagano, Kearns (Höbinger, 63), Holland (Lundgaard, 90+3), Lawley (Van de Sanden, 66), Roman H.

Unused subs: Spencer, Parry, Daniels, Enderby, Flint.


Liverpool now head into the winter break and return on January 14 when they travel to Bristol City in the fourth round of the Adobe Women’s FA Cup.

Their next WSL encounter is away at Manchester City on January 21.



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram