LFC Women beaten by Tottenham in League Cup last eight

Match reportLFC Women beaten by Tottenham in League Cup last eight

Published 19th January 2022
By Andy Kelly

Liverpool FC Women's Continental League Cup campaign ended at the quarter-final stage after a 1-0 defeat against Tottenham Hotspur Women at The Hive.

Wednesday night’s close-fought encounter was decided by a deflected effort from Rachel Williams 20 minutes from full-time.

The loss also halted an impressive 16-match unbeaten run for the Reds, who top the FA Women’s Championship table, while Spurs sit fourth in the Women’s Super League.

Matt Beard made seven changes from the team that beat Watford in the league last Sunday, with striker Katie Stengel making her full debut following her late winner at the weekend.

Both sides struggled to exert any dominance during a tight opening 45 minutes, with chances few and far between.

The first real opening arrived halfway through the period, Esther Morgan pushing the ball beyond the Liverpool backline and picking it up herself before shooting low towards the corner, only for Rachael Laws to save well.

With eight minutes until the interval the Reds produced their best move of the half. Ashley Hodson picked up a loose ball near the box and it was moved on via Carla Humphrey and Jade Bailey before Taylor Hinds brought a good low save from Tinja-Riikka Korpela.

It was Spurs who created the best opportunity of the half, though, with a good pass finding Rosella Ayane in space inside the box – but her shot was too close to Laws.

The home team started the second period better, too; Maeva Clemaron slipped in Jessica Naz for a chance that she dragged wide, as well as winning some dangerous set-pieces.

The Reds responded with a great break from Hodson down the left as her cross was cleared for a corner. The delivery from Missy Bo Kearns instigated a goalmouth scramble and the eventual shot from Leighanne Robe was blocked.

Beard sent on Leanne Kiernan, Rachel Furness and Melissa Lawley with 25 minutes left in the hope of breaking the deadlock. But when the opening goal did come, it was at the wrong end.

A ball in from the left broke to Williams and her low effort took a deflection past Laws and into the net with 70 minutes on the clock.

A quick response was needed and a driving run from Charlotte Wardlaw almost provided it. The wing-back found Lawley with a good square ball and she moved forward to unleash a powerful strike that went just over the crossbar.

Ayane scooped another chance over for Spurs and a late dramatic twist evaded the Reds this time, meaning the home side advanced to the semi-finals.

LFC Women: Laws, Wardlaw (Roberts, 80), Robe, Fahey (Furness, 65), Moore, Hinds (Campbell, 69), Bailey, Humphrey, Kearns, Hodson (Lawley, 65), Stengel (Kiernan, 65).

Unused substitutes: Clarke, Daniels.

Published 19th January 2022