Match reportLFC Women beat London City Lionesses to reach FA Cup quarter-finals

By Joe Urquhart


Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Liverpool FC Women reached the Adobe Women’s FA Cup quarter-finals on Sunday afternoon thanks to a dominant 2-0 win over London City Lionesses.

A goal in either half from Sophie Roman Haug and Melissa Lawley ensured passage in the competition for the Reds, who saw off their hosts in impressive fashion at Princes Park Stadium.

Liverpool began on the front foot and were rewarded for their early pressure with a goal in just the sixth minute of the match.

Jasmine Matthews, Jenna Clark and Grace Fisk had all threatened in the opening stages, with the latter going closest as she forced a reaction save from Grace Moloney in the home goal.

It was Roman Haug, though, who met an inviting delivery from Matthews with a guided header inside the six-yard box that gave Matt Beard’s outfit the advantage they deserved.

Following the No.10’s early effort, Liverpool continued on in search of earning themselves a cushion in the game as they dominated proceedings.

Matthews was again involved, volleying wide a Lawley cross, while the forward herself saw a low shot saved, before Ceri Holland had a snapshot caught well from inside the area.

Ahead of the half-time interval, Roman Haug diverted a Matthews cross inches past the far post, while Clark struck the bar from a Marie Höbinger corner, with the defender jumping highest before hooking the resulting loose ball wide.


The second half continued in much the same pattern as the first with Liverpool controlling possession in the early exchanges.

Höbinger went closest with stopper Moloney forced to intervene to punch away a deep ball into the box from a free-kick out on the left flank.

With a little more than 20 minutes remaining, the Reds finally earned the second goal much of their play deserved.

A long ball from goalkeeper Rachael Laws was met by a Roman Haug flick, which allowed the onrushing Lawley to gather and strike a stunning effort into the net via the underside of the crossbar from outside the area.

Beard opted for changes with Liverpool on top, with substitutes Sofie Lundgaard and Yana Daniels in particular helping keep up the visitors’ intensity in the latter stages.

It was another two from the bench who almost added a third goal late on, as Leanne Kiernan sprinted down the right to deliver for Mia Enderby, though the forward was unable to keep her effort down and on target.

In added time, Fisk saw another shot blocked on the line after a loose ball pinged around the area, though the two earlier efforts from the Reds had already wrapped up victory.


Laws, Parry (Koivisto, 56), Fisk, Fahey, Clark (Daniels, 56), Matthews, Nagano, Holland (Lundgaard, 63), Höbinger, Lawley (Enderby, 70), Roman H. (Kiernan, 70).

Unused subs: Spencer, Van de Sanden, Bonner.


Liverpool return to Barclays Women’s Super League action next Sunday, travelling to take on Brighton & Hove Albion in a 12pm GMT kick-off live on Sky Sports in the UK.



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

This article has been automatically translated and, while all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure accuracy, some errors in translation are possible. Please refer to the original English-language version of the article for the official version.