Darwin Nunez scores 99th-minute winner away at Nottingham Forest

Match reportDarwin Nunez scores 99th-minute winner away at Nottingham Forest

By Glenn Price at the City Ground


Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

Darwin Nunez scored a 99th-minute winner to give Liverpool a dramatic 1-0 victory away at Nottingham Forest in the Premier League on Saturday.

The striker returned from injury to net in the final seconds at the City Ground to extend the Reds' lead at the top of the standings.

After the visitors went close on a number of occasions throughout the afternoon, Nunez stepped off the bench in the second half and flicked in Alexis Mac Allister's cross to clinch the three points.

Team news

Bobby Clark was handed his first start in the Premier League and Andy Robertson returned to Liverpool's XI following illness.

Kelleher, Gomez, Van Dijk, Konate, Diaz, Mac Allister, Gakpo (Danns, 83), Elliott (Szoboszlai, 76), Robertson (Endo, 60), Clark (Nunez, 60), Bradley (Tsimikas, 83).

Unused substitutes: Adrian, McConnell, Koumas, Quansah.

First half

In a rather drab opening quarter of an hour, former Red Divock Origi came closest to a goal with his long-range hit that flew just wide.

At the other end, a Luis Diaz shot took a deflection off Andrew Omobamidele and found the side-netting.

Forest came close again in minute 23, launching a counter-attack after Mac Allister could not flick Harvey Elliott's cut-back towards goal. Origi sent Anthony Elanga through on goal but he was thwarted by the legs of Caoimhin Kelleher in a one-on-one situation.

A pair of opportunities then fell Diaz's way. The first, off a rebound from Clark's scuffed shot, was stopped by a last-ditch block from Murillo, while the Colombian later dragged an effort wide from an encouraging position inside the Forest penalty area.

In the final moments of the half, no-one in Liverpool purple was in position to meet Cody Gakpo's header back across goal when Mac Allister lifted a ball into the box.

Second half

Robertson thought he had put the visitors in front five minutes after the restart.

Conor Bradley's pull-back was diverted to the left-back's position at the back post by Nicolas Dominguez and his first-time strike was destined for the net had it not been for the vital block from Omobamidele.

Wataru Endo and Nunez were inserted into proceedings on the hour mark, with the latter finding the side-netting in his first few moments on the pitch.

Shortly after, Elanga was inches away from breaking the deadlock for Forest, his sweeping of Harry Toffolo's delivery drifting just past the right-hand post of Kelleher.

The Reds enjoyed a strong spell as their pursuit for a winner stepped up, going close through Gakpo, Nunez and Diaz in quick succession. Meanwhile, Kelleher was needed at the other end to keep out a low shot from Callum Hudson-Odoi.

The visitors' pressure continued – Nunez's touch nearly went off Murillo into his own net from a corner but Matz Sels was alert to palm away the goalwards flick.

And Liverpool's perseverance was rewarded right at the end. Mac Allister picked up possession after a corner was half-cleared and his delivery into the box was nodded low beyond Sels by Nunez, sparking wild scenes in the away end.



Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram

This article has been automatically translated and, while all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure accuracy, some errors in translation are possible. Please refer to the original English-language version of the article for the official version.