Liverpool had to settle for a share of the spoils after being pegged back by Tottenham in a frenetic Premier League clash at White Hart Lane.

James Milner fired the Reds ahead from the penalty spot but Spurs rallied with Danny Rose restoring parity in the second half.

Jurgen Klopp's men had their chances to win it late on but couldn't take them as they go into the international break with four points from a possible nine.

Philippe Coutinho overcame a hamstring problem to take his place in the line up with Divock Origi dropping to the bench. The other change from the midweek EFL Cup win over Burton saw Gini Wijnaldum replace the injured Emre Can with Daniel Sturridge only named among the subs.

Liverpool started brightly and should have made the breakthrough early on.

Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino linked up to pick out Coutinho. The Brazilian should have buried it but fired too close to Michel Vorm, who stuck out a leg to make the save.

Christian Eriksen's free-kick was then pushed away by Simon Mignolet before Jordan Henderson made a vital covering tackle on Dele Alli.

Liverpool defended well with Joel Matip shining on his Premier League debut alongside Dejan Lovren.

Klopp's men also looked a real threat on the counter with Vorm twice racing off his line to deny the dangerous Mane.

Midway through the first half Milner picked Kyle Walker's pocket and fed Coutinho, whose strike was deflected just over.

Klopp was fuming when referee Bobby Madley then gave Jan Vertonghen a talking to rather than awarding a penalty after the defender grabbed hold of Matip's shirt as they awaited Henderson's corner.

Spurs were forced into a reshuffle when Kyle Walker limped off with Vincent Janssen coming on up front, Ali dropping into midfield and Eric Dier going to right-back.

Two minutes before the break Liverpool were in front.

Firmino did brilliantly down the left as he burst past Erik Lamela, who clumsily brought him down. Milner stepped up to stick the penalty in the bottom corner.

Spurs responded in the second half but Liverpool dug deep to thwart them and then countered at pace.

They went close to extending their advantage when Matip's header clipped the bar.

Mane then hammered home from Lallana's low cross but the celebrations were cut short by the offside flag.

Tottenham cranked up the pressure with Eriksen and Lamela going close before Mignolet produced a stunning save to keep out Toby Alderweireld's header.
However, with 18 minutes to go the Reds keeper was finally beaten.

Dier's cross found its away to the unmarked Rose at the far post and he took a touch to steady himself before lashing it inside the near post.

Neither team settled for a point as the breathless pace of the contest was maintained.

Having earlier brought on Divock Origi for Coutinho, Klopp then introduced Daniel Sturridge for Mane.

Liverpool could have won it late on. Penalty appeals were waved away after Wijnaldum's effort struck Alderweireld on the arm.

Deep into stoppage time the Reds countered with Henderson squaring for Firmino, who played in Lallana. However, Alderweireld got back to ensure Spurs held on.

Source: Liverpool Echo

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.