The Hillsborough inquests commenced on March 31, 2014 and are the subject of reporting restrictions that have been imposed by the Attorney General's office. Liverpool Football Club is respectful of these restrictions and will therefore only be making available updates from other media channels for the duration of the inquest.

The report below - and the witness testimony contained within it - does not necessarily reflect the views of Liverpool FC. Please be aware that the reports on these pages will contain evidence about the day of the disaster which may be distressing.

To view archive reports from each day of the inquest hearings, click here.

Courtesy of the BBC - July 31

A former detective inspector who helped carry a 15-year-old victim of the Hillsborough disaster told a jury he believed the boy was "recoverable".

John Charles, who was on duty at the match, gave evidence as the inquest focussed on Peter Harrison's death.

Mr Charles said he went to help Peter because he "felt a bit useless" after his officers dispersed.

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died after crushing at the FA Cup semi-final on 15 April 1989.

Peter's adopted father, John Harrison, told the inquest that Peter left home in Liverpool to meet his biological father, Gerry Blayney, and his uncle, Alan Blayney, before travelling to Sheffield.

The jury heard how Peter went into the stadium to buy a programme but there was no evidence or video footage of him going into the Leppings Lane terraces.

His father and uncle sat in the West Stand, above the standing enclosures, to watch the match.

A barrister showed photographs and footage of Peter inside pen three. The last image showing him in the crowd was timed at 15:03 BST.

He was carried out of the pen 20 minutes after police stopped the match at 15.06 BST. Mr Charles helped carry Peter on an advertising hoarding at 15:30 BST.

He said: "As far as I was concerned, he was recoverable."

Mr Charles added that Peter was "obviously in need of greater assistance" so he took him to the gymnasium.

He continued: "I had taken all my troops in to the back of the stand and they had all dispersed and I was stood on the pitch and, to be honest, I felt a bit useless and I wanted to do something to assist all those people that were injured. It was as simple as that."

The jury also heard from Paul Bromley, a former PC, who believes he tried to resuscitate Richard Jones, 25.

He said he was "desperate" to get Mr Jones into the stadium's gymnasium for treatment.

Mr Bromley said he carried Mr Jones on a makeshift stretcher towards the gym, but he had to place the stretcher on the ground due to the "chaos" near the entrance.

He said: "The desperation was to get the casualty in to the gymnasium because I felt that's where any help that we needed might be."

Mr Bromley said he had a "graphic memory" of hitting the casualty in the chest to try to help with the resuscitation, but said he was "unresponsive".

A lawyer representing Mr Jones' family said there is "doubt" whether the man he helped was Mr Jones.

The jury heard Mr Bromley recalled treating a casualty wearing grey trousers, whereas Mr Jones wore blue jeans to the match.

The inquests are now on a break until 1 September.