The Hillsborough inquests commenced on March 31, 2014 and are the subject of reporting restrictions that have been imposed by the Attorney General's office. Liverpool Football Club is respectful of these restrictions and will therefore only be making available updates from other media channels for the duration of the inquest.

The report below - and the witness testimony contained within it - does not necessarily reflect the views of Liverpool FC. Please be aware that the reports on these pages will contain evidence about the day of the disaster which may be distressing.

To view archive reports from each day of the inquest hearings, click here.

Courtesy of the Liverpool Echo - July 30

A catering worker who helped carry casualties to the gymnasium after the Hillsborough disaster was told to “bring one with a bit more life”, the inquests heard.

The court, in Birchwood Park, Warrington, heard 38-year-old Brian Matthews, from Knowsley Village, had been carried across to the gymnasium after being treated on the pitch.

Carl Webber, who was working in a catering kiosk at the ground, said he had helped to carry the hoarding with Brian on and had placed it at the rear of the North Stand, next to other casualties.

He said: “After placing the hoarding down, somebody came across and had a quick glance at the person on the hoarding and said ‘can’t you bring one with a bit more life next time’.

“The person who said this wore a uniform. He was either a policeman or possibly an ambulanceman.”

He said the person did not carry out an assessment of Brian.

Mr Webber said when he first saw Brian he had looked “in a bad way” and his lips and face appeared to be turning blue.

The court heard Brian, a financial consultant, had travelled to the match with friends John Cottrell, William Harvey and Pamela Wheeler and entered the ground through the exit gate when it opened.

In a statement, Mr Cottrell said: “We did not enter the ground through a turnstile, but through a blue concertina gate.

“I was next to two police officers who opened the gate.

“I heard them saying ‘OK lads, come in in an orderly fashion’. There was no one directing us once inside the gates.”

He said they went down the tunnel and got into pen three at about 2.56pm.

He said: “Once out of the tunnel, we tried to move sideways to the right, pushing through the crowd.

“Pam was holding on to me.

“I do not know what happened to Brian after this.

“About two minutes later, the crush happened.

“We had managed to push our way to the right in pen three, we did not realise at the time a spiked fence prevented us from going further into pen two.

“I saw a crash barrier to our right and tried to get in front of it. I was pulling Pam after me and Will and presumably Brian behind her.”

Matthew Hill, counsel to the inquests, summarised evidence of Mr Harvey, who also described going down the tunnel with his friends.

He said: “Mr Harvey looked behind and saw Brian, who had just come out of the tunnel.

“He shouted that they were going to the right and he recalls Brian nodding in acknowledgement.”

Brian’s wife, Margaret Matthews, was shown a photo of her husband in the pen at about 3.02pm.

Pete Weatherby, representing Mrs Matthews, asked her: “Would you agree that at that time it appears that Brian was alive?”

Mrs Matthews said: “Yes, very much so. He looks as though he’s suffering some kind of pain.”

The court heard that Brian was removed from the terrace at 3.18pm and was treated by police officers, St John Ambulance workers and spectators on the pitch.

Andrea Fiddler, a St John Ambulance volunteer, said Brian vomited and was turned onto his side.

Footage showed Brian being given CPR on the pitch until 3.33pm when he was carried to the gymnasium.

The friend of a Hillsborough victim tried to slap him to revive him after he appeared to collapse in the crush, the inquests heard.

Anthony Kelly, a 29-year-old former soldier from Rock Ferry, had travelled to the semi-final on April 15, 1989, with friends Michael Sullivan and Wayne Jenkins.

In a statement read to the court, Mr Sullivan said after getting through the crowd at the turnstiles he asked a steward inside the ground where they should go and was directed down the tunnel to the central pens.

He said: “When we got to the end of the tunnel, that was when we just came up against a wall of people.

“I think we moved slightly to the right at the end of the tunnel and pushed our way into the crowd.”

He said he and Anthony went into the pen at about 2.50pm and got a couple of steps in.

He said by about 2.55pm the crowd was getting worse and they were pushed nearer to the front.

He said: “I remember I was trying to keep my head up.

“I looked at Anthony and I saw that he looked as if he had collapsed and passed out.

“My left arm was out, but I could only move my fingers, but I tried to slap Anthony’s face to bring him round.

“By this time, we were right down by the front fence and I remember that someone got hold of me by my coat and dragged me up and over the front fence.”

The court heard in a statement that Mr Jenkins had described pulling Anthony back from the crowd - although he had different accounts of whether that happened inside the pen or outside the ground, in the crush outside the turnstiles.

In one statement, he said: “Anthony decided to go down to the front of the Kop together with another friend, Michael Sullivan.

“I could see that there was something wrong and tried to pull Anthony back but he carried on towards the front with Michael and at this point we became separated.”

A photo taken at about 3pm, the time of kick-off, showed Anthony near the front of pen three.

Footage from 3.28pm showed Anthony being picked up from the floor of the pen and carried towards the gate.

Graham Seddon, a Liverpool fan, was shown on footage carrying Anthony from the gate at 3.28pm and onto the pitch but said he had no memory of it.

Video evidence showed Anthony lying on the pitch at 3.31pm, before being lifted onto a hoarding at 3.33pm.

Matthew Hill, counsel to the inquests, said: “In the two-minute period from 3.31pm, when that footage began, until the efforts begin to move Anthony, there is nothing on the footage showing Anthony being attended by anyone, but he is not always visible throughout that period due to the movement around him.”

The court heard a number of police officers carried Anthony to the area outside the gymnasium.

Steven Askham, a police constable, said in a statement he had carried him into the gym and was with him when he was confirmed dead at 4.01pm.

The inquests heard Anthony’s mum, Betty Almond, later travelled to Sheffield and identified him.