The Hillsborough inquests commenced on March 31, 2014 and are the subject of reporting restrictions that have been imposed by the Attorney General's office. Liverpool Football Club is respectful of these restrictions and will therefore only be making available updates from other media channels for the duration of the inquest.

The report below - and the witness testimony contained within it - does not necessarily reflect the views of Liverpool FC. Please be aware that the reports on these pages will contain evidence about the day of the disaster which may be distressing.

To view archive reports from each day of the inquest hearings, click here.

Courtesy of the BBC - May 22

A former police constable has told the Hillsborough inquests he made no attempt to revive a 21-year-old supporter he found lying motionless.

Norman Lewis gave evidence as the new inquests into the 96 deaths focused on how university student Joseph McCarthy lost his life.

Mr Lewis said when he found Mr McCarthy he showed "no signs of life".

He told the inquests he did not know if anyone had tried to revive Mr McCarthy before he found him.

The student was one of the 96 football fans who died following crushing on the Leppings Lane terraces at Hillsborough during the Liverpool v Nottingham Forest FA Cup semi-final on 15 April 1989.

He lived with his family in London and was studying business at Sheffield University.

Anthony Goggins, his cousin, previously told he inquests Mr McCarthy was a "natural leader", academically successful and an "all-round sportsperson".

Mr McCarthy arrived at the ground with Colin Auton, a university friend, Michael O'Keefe and Paul Brady.

Mr Brady also lost his life, while Mr Auton and Mr O'Keefe both lost consciousness in the crush.

The court saw footage of Mr McCarthy standing inside pen three on the terrace at 14:56 BST.

More video showing what is believed to be him being lifted out of the pen at 15:26 was also played.

Mr Lewis said he went into the stadium at approximately 15:10 having been on traffic duty outside.

He initially formed part of a cordon in front of the North Stand but then started to head towards the Leppings Lane end.

He said: "It was just a mass of bodies, a crowd, and we just started walking towards them.

"After a short while we did start seeing people being carried on hoardings, advertising boards, but I had no radio, no communications at all - so I had no idea what it was, none of us did."

Mr Lewis saw Mr McCarthy "lying motionless on the floor" just to the right and in front of the goal.

He said he could not remember if he was on his front or his back, or if there was anybody else with him.

Mr Lewis said: "I believed I checked for breathing and a pulse but I could feel nothing."

In a statement he made in 1989, Mr Lewis said that the student "showed no signs of life and appeared dead".

He told the jury that he had received "brief training" in first aid during his initial police training.

Brenda Campbell, a barrister representing Mr McCarthy's family, said: "Can you help us, Mr Lewis, as to why you didn't attempt CPR in the area of the goalposts?"

Mr Lewis replied: "When I looked at the body, as it was there, from the pallor of the face, I assumed from the brief checks I made that life was extinct."

He said he was not aware of anyone trying to resuscitate Mr McCarthy that afternoon.

Mr Lewis said he helped load him on to a makeshift stretcher and carry him the length of the pitch to the stadium's gymnasium.

Mr McCarthy was pronounced dead at 15:55.

The jury heard Justin Shinebourne, who was in shared accommodation with Mr McCarthy at university, identified his body at 23:20 that evening.

His parents, Sean and Anna McCarthy, were on holiday abroad when the disaster happened.

The court heard they immediately returned home after hearing of their son's death. They formally identified his body in Sheffield's Medico-Legal centre on 21 April.

The last time Mr McCarthy saw his son alive was on 9 April when he dropped him off at a railway station.

The inquests, in Warrington, are due to continue on 1 June.