The Hillsborough inquests commenced on March 31, 2014 and are the subject of reporting restrictions that have been imposed by the Attorney General's office. Liverpool Football Club is respectful of these restrictions and will therefore only be making available updates from other media channels for the duration of the inquest.

The report below - and the witness testimony contained within it - does not necessarily reflect the views of Liverpool FC. Please be aware that the reports on these pages will contain evidence about the day of the disaster which may be distressing.

To view archive reports from each day of the inquest hearings, click here.

Courtesy of the BBC - February 26

A police officer who arrested a supporter as the Hillsborough disaster unfolded has told a jury he "hadn't been kind" and "didn't listen to him".

PC Richard Brougham apprehended the Liverpool fan after watching him run up to opposing fans and shout at them.

The fan was telling Nottingham Forest fans not to "jeer" as he had seen people "badly hurt", the jury heard.

Mr Brougham went on to give the "kiss of life" to a young casualty who had been "left for dead" at the ground.

Ninety-six Liverpool supporters died after crushing at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on 15 April 1989.

Mr Brougham, who is no longer a police officer, said as he went on to the pitch he assumed he was going to a "crowd control situation".

The inquests heard he saw a Liverpool fan running towards the Spion Kop end of the ground where the Nottingham Forest fans were.

Video footage from 15:10 BST that day shows the fan, who was named only as Mr Nodwell, "gesticulating and shouting" at the Forest fans.

He was then "knocked to the ground and arrested", the jury heard.

The fan was "near hysterical".

In his 1989 statement, Mr Brougham said Mr Nodwell was "shouting that he was trying to tell the Nottingham Forest supporters not to jeer as he had seen people badly hurt at the Liverpool end of the ground - he was saying his mate's arm had been broken".

Mr Brougham now believes he "hadn't been kind" to Mr Nodwell, the jury heard.

He said: "I didn't listen to him."

Speaking through tears, he said: "He went through a horrendous situation and then he was arrested and he was not [treated] properly. I didn't treat him good."

After completing the paperwork for Mr Nodwell's arrest, Mr Brougham helped give first aid to a youth who had been "left for dead" outside the stadium's gymnasium.

Judy Khan QC, a barrister who represents bereaved families, said there was "no question" Mr Brougham "saved that young man's life".

Mr Brougham said he was "involved in saving his life, yes", but he later agreed that was his "impression" of what he had done and it was a complicated situation.

The jury heard Mr Brougham had been told about the youth by another fan who said "look at him, I don't know if he is dead - I don't think he is".

The youth was in a group of bodies "slumped across each other" and Mr Brougham "grabbed him" and helped pull him out.

He agreed nobody was tending to the group of casualties, checking them or trying to revive them.

Mr Brougham gave the youth the "kiss of life" and carried him to the front of a queue of injured fans waiting for ambulances.

He later received a letter from the young man's parents thanking him for what he did.

The inquests, being held in Warrington, Cheshire, continue.