Better results will follow for Liverpool if they display the same determination and desire that brought a 97th-minute equaliser from Martin Skrtel against Arsenal, the defender insisted after his decisive impact.

The Reds were dominant at Anfield yesterday. From the first whistle, their commitment to intense pressing was evident, with the Gunners simply allowed no time to settle into the passing rhythm of theirs that can pose great threat.

With the likes of Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana and Lazar Markovic incessant in harrying and worrying the visitors on the ball, Brendan Rodgers' side were in the ascendancy throughout the opening period.

The goal the hosts' play deserved arrived right on the break, as Jordan Henderson drifted inside and teed up Coutinho to shuffle in one direction and blast an effort in the other. It cannoned off the post and home for 1-0.

But the advantage lasted mere seconds before Mathieu Debuchy could celebrate a headed conversion in front of the Kop. By 19 minutes after the interval, Olivier Giroud had swept a low hit underneath Brad Jones to complete a turnaround.

Liverpool needed to respond and they did, though in Wojciech Szczesny the home team discovered a goalkeeper capable of blocking all sorts of dangers - until Skrtel found a way, with a storming nod into the corner, to salvage a point.

In the immediate aftermath of the thrilling Barclays Premier League contest, the No.37 was pleased with a pivotal contribution, though keen to acknowledge the players' need to tighten up at either end of the field.

"It is good that we scored the goal and got a point - we showed our spirit, desire and fight until the end," the centre-back explained to from inside the tunnel at Anfield.

Watch the video here »

"In the first half, we were totally dominant and scored a goal. But straight after we conceded, just before half-time. There were a few mistakes there.

"Then we were behind a goal and trying to get an equaliser. I'm just glad we got it. Performance-wise, it was good. In the last three games - Manchester United, Bournemouth and this - I think we did well.

"We just couldn't get the result because of the goals we conceded and not taking more chances. But if we carry on in this way, it will be good for us. Now we have to get ready for the next game, Burnley away. We need to get the three points there."

There was an ironic undertone to Skrtel's equaliser. The 30-year-old had endured an accidental kick to the head from Giroud early in the second half, forcing extensive treatment and a long break in play.

The incident was a major factor behind the nine minutes of stoppage time ordered once the standard 90 were over on Merseyside, during which Liverpool summoned that dramatic leveller.

"It's alright now," Skrtel reported on the injury. "It was quite sore straight after the accident, but that's part of football. I'm just glad I could carry on and be part of the game.

"I'm happy about the goal because it helped the team to get a point. But we're disappointed because after the performance we showed - we were dominating - we deserved more than we got."

Get the latest LFC news direct to your smart speaker
Never miss a beat Google Amazon

Our 2-2 draw in action and reaction