Supporters travelling to Anfield for Liverpool's Premier League fixture against Newcastle United on Saturday March 3 should be aware of planned strike action by members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union.
The planned action will cause significant disruption to Merseyrail and Northern Rail services on the day of the fixture. A reduced Merseyrail service will be in place between 7am and 7pm GMT.
Engineering work will also affect TransPennine Express services between Liverpool and Newcastle on the Saturday and Sunday March 4.
Fans should check timetables and plan their journey in advance to ensure they are aware of all the available travel options.
Getting to and from Anfield - what you need to know
- Services will run from around 7am to 7pm, with a break between approximately 11.30am and 1.30pm
- Merseyrail will be running a service every 30 minutes on most lines
- The New Brighton to Liverpool service will be every hour
- Wirral services will start and terminate at James Street station
- There will be no rail connections at Bidston onto the Merseyrail services
- Passengers travelling to Birkenhead and Liverpool via the Borderlands service are advised to leave the train at Upton and pick up an Arriva cross river bus service to complete their journey
For more detailed information, please visit the Merseyrail website.
Trains will run as follows.
- Southport – Liverpool Central
Not calling at Freshfield, Hall Road, Bootle Oriel Road, Bank Hall and Sandhills
- Hooton – Liverpool James Street
Not calling at Eastham Rake, Bromborough Rake, Moorfields, Lime Street and Liverpool Central
- West Kirby – Liverpool James Street
Not calling at Manor Road, Bidston, Birkenhead Park, Conway Park, Moorfields, Lime Street and Liverpool Central
- Maghull – Liverpool Central
Not calling at Sandhills
- New Brighton – Liverpool James Street
Not calling at Moorfields, Lime Street and Liverpool Central
There will be NO service on the following lines.
- Hunts Cross – Liverpool Central
- Ellesmere Port – Hooton
- Chester – Hooton
- Ormskirk – Maghull
- Kirkby – Liverpool Central
Northern Rail services
Strike action will also be taking place on Northern Rail services on Saturday March 3.
Northern will be running a reduced service on some routes, some stations will have no service and all services will finish early.
Full details are available on the Northern Rail website.
Mainline rail services
Planned engineering work will affect TransPennine Express services between Liverpool and Newcastle on Saturday and Sunday.
To see how this will affect your journey to and from Liverpool, please visit the TransPennine Express website.
There will be NO Soccerbus from Sandhills, as Merseyrail services will not stop at the station on Saturday.
Stagecoach will have extra capacity on the 917 matchday service, which will be running to and from Liverpool city centre.
Buses are likely to be very busy, so plan ahead, taking into account longer journey times. Don’t aim for the last scheduled bus, get there early.
For the latest service information, please visit: