Liverpool U23s came from two goals down to claim a brilliant 3-2 victory over Tottenham Hotspur in their Premier League 2 clash at Anfield on Sunday afternoon.

Harry Wilson’s penalty and a sensational strike by Sheyi Ojo at the Kop end had hauled the young Reds level as they responded superbly to a quickfire double from the visitors.

But the last word went to Kevin Stewart, against his former club, with a bullet header eight minutes from time settling the game in Liverpool’s favour.

Rhian Brewster, making his first appearance at Anfield, had the match’s first opportunity when Wilson intelligently flicked a header back to the edge of the box in the sixth minute.

The ball sat up nicely for the 17-year-old forward to take a touch and volley, but too much power on his strike meant it looped over the crossbar.

Spurs soon warmed to their task and after Shilow Tracey had brought an excellent catch out of Kamil Grabara with an angled blast, the visitors quickly established a two-goal lead.

The opener came on exactly 18 minutes through Marcus Edwards, who showed neat footwork to collect a loose ball in the area, glide around the recovering Ben Woodburn and send a clinical left-footer home.

Nathan Oduwa then seized possession from Joe Gomez as he tried to control an awkward pass in his own half and instantly scampered into a crossing position on the left.

His pull-back found Tracey, whose shot was blocked, but Will Miller followed up and forced the ball beyond touches from Grabara and Gomez to double the advantage.

Liverpool immediately ensured the game did not get away from them, though, with Trent Alexander-Arnold’s ability to raid from the right flank the catalyst.

The No.2 attacked the area at pace and was tripped by Joe Muscatt, allowing Wilson to step up from 12 yards and place a sublime penalty into the bottom right corner.

LFCTV GO: Watch highlights of the 3-2 win over Spurs

Momentum notably shifted in the contest from that point and the young Reds, helped by a formation switch by coach Mike Garrity, carried their dominance into the second half.

Ojo had needed treatment for a knock in the final moments before the break but shook it off to continue and promptly levelled for Liverpool two minutes after the re-start.

It was a goal of exquisite technique, too, with the winger collecting the ball on the right flank, shifting into space and curling a brilliant finish into the far corner.

Buoyed by the turn of events, the home side pushed forward and Wilson might have done better than scuffing off target after industrious running by Brewster, while Corey Whelan nodded an Alexander-Arnold cross onto the post.

Stewart had already gone close to a decisive third with a thunderous half-volley that whistled wide, before the midfielder did provide the winning effort.

Another short corner routine by the Reds saw Alexander-Arnold swing an inviting cross into the penalty area, where the former Spurs man arrived to power home a header for 3-2.

Liverpool U23s: Grabara, Alexander-Arnold, Randall, Gomez, Whelan, Stewart, Wilson, Virtue (Williams), Brewster, Woodburn, Ojo. Unused substitutes: Kelleher, Alves, Hart, T Gomes.