Comments

What do you think? I'm too young to have seen Clem regularly but his trophy collection is pretty immense. Steve H also wanted me to mention Dudek (not as the best, but in top five). (Jimmy, LFC.TV journo)
JimmyRice
13th Sep 2010 9:06
Ejaaz25
13th Sep 2010 9:10
"i am for reina with his superb, amazing saves he made on sunday :)"
domlfc
13th Sep 2010 9:11
"its gotta be pepe for me!"
wmraker
13th Sep 2010 9:26
"Ray Clemence and then Pepe.."
liverpoolfctillidie
13th Sep 2010 9:27
"reina "
Eeko
13th Sep 2010 9:27
"Pepe's defo up there. His just been unlucky to not have been involved with a great squad. Our spine has been brilliant for 3 of the 5 seasons, but when key parts were missing, we were exposed. Thats why Pepe doesnt have many medals."
Jeddah
13th Sep 2010 9:29
"Sorry Ray you were great but yesterday Pepe was in a league of his own."
tallestman
13th Sep 2010 9:32
"About getting medals alot of Player are Victim in the Paste 5 years..should a Player of fernando Torress Play in 2 years without Medals? So reina is a very good Stopper...So individually Reina is on his way to be a Legend be it with alot of Medals or Not...! YNWA...!"
YESSSsssss
13th Sep 2010 9:49
"Just a few days ago we were comparing Reina to Championship goalkeepers now after 3-4 absolutely poor games and just a good game ur comparing him to a Legend ?? This cant be."
Chasanfield
13th Sep 2010 9:52
"Not easy to answer! I've watched all keepers from and including The Flying Pig, and I'd put Pepe, Brucie and Ray in Joint Top Spot. Hopefully Pepe will stay at least another 10 seasons :)"
Semi
13th Sep 2010 10:11
"Not only is Pepe the best keeper liverpool have ever had, but he is possibly the best the world has seen, remember Banks save from Pele in 70? Pepe made 2 similar saves yesterday. His distribution is second to none, his shot stopping sometimes defies belief. Yesterday he saved us from a heavy defeat against a side who we should be looking to beat comfortably. "
Meneer-Kuyt
13th Sep 2010 10:13
"Reina for me. I think Clem had a better defence in front of him to help him out, But it;s close real close."
Taffisared
13th Sep 2010 10:19
"Without doubt Clemence is the best.For those who dont remember because we had such great teams Clemence would be un occupied for long periods and many was the times at 1 nil up he came to our rescue his powers of concentration and the reading of situations where phenominal."
breedo23
13th Sep 2010 10:24
"Both great, great keepers, and thats the long and short of it. Comparisons such as this are meaningless. "
FT-9DA-5
13th Sep 2010 10:45
"Pepe is best KEEPER, Clem was in the best TEAM. The Reason Pepe has no medals is NOT his fault but outfield positions."
juleslfc63
13th Sep 2010 10:57
"A goalkeepr is only as good as his defence albeit yesterday i think Pepe was defence too just as well really....I think he is in a class of his own but only time will tell if he can be compared to Clemmo or Dudek or infact Brucie...Just hope he keeps this form up because we are shot otherwise :o(( "
haybags
13th Sep 2010 11:00
"you alll seem to have forgotten duggie rudam and tommy younger allthough we where then in the old second div the kept goal with some skill"
abscal
13th Sep 2010 11:04
"its very close between clem and pepe,after seen all our keepers since lawrence id have to pick pepe but only just,and yes clem had great trophy collection but play with players far better than todays lot......only gerrard and torres would have any chance of being in team that clem played with and that would be maybe"
Colorado_Red
13th Sep 2010 11:06
"A player's medal collection should not dictate their ability. Few would argue that Reina is far better than Dudek, yet Dudek has a Champions League Winner's medal. I'm too young to know enough about Clemence to judge, but his medal collection shouldn't come into it in my opinion."
greyhame
13th Sep 2010 11:12
"When making such a comparison, it has to be borne in mind that Ray was great in a team of greats. Pepe is a really great goalkeeper, but as yesterday showed, the rest of the team is very ordinary, as is the manager."
Mtchristian
13th Sep 2010 11:13
"I think John Biship mentioned that Clem didn't wear gloves? Awesome! Anyway, I'm too young to have had the honour to watch Clem, or even Bruce, play, but all three of them are legendary worldclass keepers without a doubt. "
simez
13th Sep 2010 11:21
"Pepe will be the best keeper we have/had...ray c was an outstanding keeper, but pepe just gets better and better "
RobbieBrannoLFC
13th Sep 2010 11:23
"i'm to young to have seen clemance play but heared great things about him. i think that reina is the greatest we've had in my life time (17yrs) and he isn't old so has loads of years left with us hopefully."
DANLOLASDAD
13th Sep 2010 11:23
"PEPE is best keeper why because he is the only keeper that matters at this point in time getting nostalgic over ray is pointless thanks pepe for the wonderful performance maybe the rest of the team can take some lessons from him when we play he carries everyone with great performances ynwa"
DESERTFOX
13th Sep 2010 11:57
"HAVING SEEN THEM ALL PLAY BUT ELISHA SCOTT, RAY CLEMENCE WAS BY FAR A BETTER KEEPER EVEN THOUGH HE HAD A MORE SLOID DEFENCE INFRONT OF HIM,TOMMY LAWRENCE ( FLYING PIG) LACKED HEIGHT BUT QUICK TO STOP THE THOUGH BALL, BRUCE WAS OUT OF THE BOX AT THE WRONG TIMES AND TENDED TO BE TOO ERRATIC, PEPE MOER TIME IS NEEDED TO DECIDE. "DESERTFOX""
greatwhite
13th Sep 2010 11:58
"that's easy clem by a mile did not need six men in front of him also played as a sweeper could also catch a ball from crosses"
Jobi1Kanobi
13th Sep 2010 12:05
"i vote Pepe as the Best due to me thinking he is the best Goalkeeper in the world at this preasent time. people may disagree because Iker Cassillas gets in the Spain Squad above him but my reason for that is that he plays in the La Liga so my vote goes for Pepe,, Joe Hoare"
Luis07LP
13th Sep 2010 12:15
"Reina for me and I watched both. Clemence had a pretty solid back 4 and midfield in front of him whereas Pepe has had less consistent cove and yesterday just proved his value to this team."
yD
13th Sep 2010 12:18
"Pepe is one of the most consistant goalkeepers that I have ever seen and he is right up there with Clem.If he continues his career with us I'm sure that he will become our greatest ever."
miles-5STAR-REDS
13th Sep 2010 12:19
"got to be reina for me"
thos16
13th Sep 2010 12:24
"What Reina better than Clem,he wouldnt even be second before Brucie,Reina makes too much of a home on his goal line,yesterday was great,look at Arsenal & Spain game,and thats just this season."
mir121212
13th Sep 2010 12:44
"Thanks to him for the point of the game if it was other GK bye bye and if we start compare him with clemence, grobelaar and the rest then compare the teams as well. Its simple at the momment his as best as buffon for me thanks Reina "
weqweq
13th Sep 2010 13:10
"Pepe !! cause he's playing alone not like Clemence days"
rox90
13th Sep 2010 13:13
"Reina "
McDee
13th Sep 2010 13:15
"Im too young to have seen clemence play but I have to say Reina was a different class yesterday! He is the best keeper in the prem by a long shot!"
Euro-77-78-81-84-05
13th Sep 2010 13:25
"It has to be Clemence at this moment in time, but Pepe will hopfully take the le in the next few years. Only one person (could be two end of this season) has played more for this club then Clemence. Be good if Pepe plays more and breaks the all time clean sheet record. A better comparrison would be between Pepe and Celemence when he was at the stage of his Liverpool carrer Pepe is at now."
REDSPOWER
13th Sep 2010 13:51
"I, too was young when Clemence was keeper, but 1 thing for sure is that he had 10 passionate teammates in front of him to make his job a lot easier. Quite honestly if you look at our team now and the quality of some of our players, you would have to say that Pepe certainly has a thumbs up from me for being the best."
ger89
13th Sep 2010 13:55
"i thought groblar was are best"
cisterna
13th Sep 2010 14:16
"Reina is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
RedAl96LFC
13th Sep 2010 14:16
"That's a tough call, both are AMAZING goalies, on medals alone it has to be Ray, but Pepe, Pepe has time to fix that... Ray, then the current shot stopper..."
degsy62
13th Sep 2010 14:24
"For me right now I would choose Clem as our best ever keeper, he won us trophies year after year without being a show off. I think Reina is world class, but maybe when he hangs up his gloves it will be time to decide if he has done enough to overtake the brilliant Ray Clemence. I would say Pepe is on a par with Brucie, although for entertainment nobody beats Brucie. "
lakeley
13th Sep 2010 14:26
"Ray Clemence was a commanding goalkepper with an ability see any danger and cover those areas correctly he also had lightning quick reactions and was and is without doubt the best goalkeeper Liverpool have ever had.Pepe Reina is still quite young for a keeper so maybe he can be as good as Ray Clemence. "
AWOL
13th Sep 2010 14:32
"it doesnt matter on how many trophies either have won, if your asking whos better its position on position and reina is better then clemence"
LiVeRpOoLgAl
13th Sep 2010 14:37
"Many things have been said about Greats like Ray but Reina & Dudek are the only goalkeepers I've watched so obviously I would say Reina. But, it's too soon to tell. I think it's only fair that a player gets compared at the end of his career especially if they're being compared to Liverpool Legends & there's still a long way to go for Reina! Long may that continue! YNWA!"
dan13290
13th Sep 2010 14:53
"IT HAS TO BE PEPE. I FEEL BAD ON CLEMENCE SAYING IT BUT PEPE MAKES A MASSIVE CONTRIBUTION TO THIS TEAM ON AND OFF THE PITCH A TRUE ANFIELD GREAT!!"
Liverpooltheelites
13th Sep 2010 14:56
"Pepe obviously! He is just the best and he proved that on sunday!"
PLausi
13th Sep 2010 15:29
"I think they are both great shot stoppers, but i think we should take into consideration how the ball has changed since Clem has played. Footballs now are engineered to have more spin, curve, and at most time unpredictable movements. Because of this i believe it is harder to be a stopper now then it has ever been, and thus my vote must go to Pepe."
ILOVEREINA
13th Sep 2010 15:57
"PEPE REINA :) I LOVE YOU REINA FOREVER <3"
Sarmad0201
13th Sep 2010 16:01
"reina for me ... what a legend "
BarryPr
13th Sep 2010 16:12
"Clemence won many England Championships and 3 Europe Cups which makes him the best Liverpool keeper ever. Reina plays great but is still a long way to go in his career."
yassinexsl600
13th Sep 2010 16:20
"Reina, if we had a le winning team, then Reina would be more decorated than clemence!"
liverpoolsuperfan
13th Sep 2010 16:24
"pepe reina for me ,ive seen the both play and wins by a mile"
maddylovesliverpool
13th Sep 2010 16:47
"REINA SAVES US TIME AND TIME AGAIN, YNWA, REINA ONE DAY YOU WILL BE A AMAZING LFC CAPTAIN"
Finnscouse
13th Sep 2010 16:54
"Grob; Clem; Elisha Scott Elisha Scott (24 August 1894 16 May 1959) was an Irish football goalkeeper who most notably played for Liverpool from 1912 to 1934 (still holding the record as our longest-serving player); Dudek; Westerveld. YNWA."
DrHDM
13th Sep 2010 16:59
"It's difficult to compare a player that is still in the prime of his career to a goalkeeper who has already made his mark and left his legendary impression on the club. Pepe is a glorius, to say the least, shot-stopper. However, it would be better to ask that question when Reina has either departed the club (heaven forbid) or when he retires. Nevertheless, long live Pepe Reina!"
Mattp
13th Sep 2010 17:10
"PEPE REINA all the way."
curlyted
13th Sep 2010 17:28
"I started looking at liverpool when the flying pig was playing for us( Tommy Lawrence). Clemence always had a great defence in front of him. In my opinion Pepe is far away the best i have saw here."
Martoman2t7LFC
13th Sep 2010 17:45
"I think Pepe is the obvious choice, because football has grown over the years, Clemence played back in the day when the footballs, pitches etc where all lower quality than they are today. Pepe is the best"
redzy
13th Sep 2010 18:05
"reinas better"
NJNorm
13th Sep 2010 18:12
"Pepe just has to be this good for 5 more years and then he can take the crown"
juvenile90
13th Sep 2010 18:21
"i think they all desrve to be called the best keepers and also dont forget dudek either he was amazing aswell :D"
bceagles
13th Sep 2010 18:38
"i think reina was best"
bceagles
13th Sep 2010 18:41
"reina and clemence were both great, but based on how well our defense/clean sheet record has been over the last 5 or so seasons, its gotta be reina"
bullssg23
13th Sep 2010 18:58
"The best is bruce, then jerzey, then ray, then pepe, then steve. that's what i think."
BelgianRedsFC
13th Sep 2010 19:09
"I think he is, to be honest. And that means something, because we had many good goalkeepers over the years. Keep on doing the good work, Pepe! YNWA! "
Liverbird23
13th Sep 2010 19:34
"its got to be pepe all the way"
fallfan
13th Sep 2010 19:53
"no contest for me. clem by a mile. pepe is one of the worlds top keepers, but clem is the best of all time imo. certainly the best of my lifetime."
Miskinyte
13th Sep 2010 19:57
"Back when we had some great keepers, we also had a strong team which contributed to some the succcess of the past liv era. however since since reina has been with us, he has contributed to some outstanding individual displays for us in europe, and most recently held us from drifting further down the table then 7th last season on his own. So based on solo performance it has to be Reina for me."
Niuginired
13th Sep 2010 20:53
"I think Clem and Pepe would both share the top. Clem may have won the silver wares but the then strikers scored goals so the team won. Pepe is doing everything a stopper will do, but if there are no goals in the opponent's net what can he get?"
jaygraham84
13th Sep 2010 21:24
"Pepe has all the attributes to be the best ever for LFC in a few years. He needs to help the team to some honours along the way first though. It would be wrong to have him as the best right now - but he already sits alongside Lawrence,Clem,Bruce and Elisha Scott in the top 5"
molbysgut
13th Sep 2010 21:31
"Clemence hardly ever made any mistakes in a season. True the lads he had in front of him were better than what we have now, however, his concentration level was outstanding and when he was needed he was superb. Watch Reina when he hasn't been in the game try and chase the ball just for something to do. Ray Clemence every time."
LFCLad10
13th Sep 2010 22:27
"My vote has got to be for Pepe, as he's simply fantastic, no better keeper in the league. Spain are missing a lot by leaving him on the bench all the time. I don't agree about trying to compare him to Ray too much, as Pepe is still playing. Comparing those two will be a good question to ask in the future though."
EMLYN23
13th Sep 2010 22:45
"With all matches now being televised we can see all the brilliant saves and the howlers. It's an impossible task to compare keepers as we can never see the legendary Elisha Scott's saves. Just be glad that we've had some great ones and some real characters too."
Bauru
13th Sep 2010 22:56
"Reina will not beat our legend, regardless of the amount of medals you can turn - whether in legend as well, I believe him. YNWA"
richardmcgill24
13th Sep 2010 23:19
"clemence"
andre666lfc
13th Sep 2010 23:24
"how dare you!!! whats the next ? Torres or Dalglish ? oh cmon! Bob Paisley would certainly cry!"
lfcfan2k8
14th Sep 2010 0:22
"reina yesterday produced 2 moments of utter brilliance which was more than the 10 players in front of him produced through out the 90 mins. a great goalkeeper are the ones that get you 3 point instead of zero. reina is surely the best in the world."
ElNinoRulz
14th Sep 2010 0:33
"Reina for me..i Know Clemence was class act too...but for this generation Reina is a top top professional and a leader like atude, he is class keeper and commited person...how many times has he saved us in these 4/5 years he has been here? Tough choices between the two but Pepe for me."
jonesy1991
14th Sep 2010 0:33
"ray was undoubtebly the greatest galkeeper of his time, but for me pepe gets the vote, he has all the credentials needed to be not only the greatest keeper of his time, but of all time and liverpools greatest. "
kOpIdOL
14th Sep 2010 1:25
"On all round goalkeeping abilities alone, I think Pepe shades it a bit, but obviously Clem was more successful. That said, I believe Reina's got many more years left in him at the highest level to be as successful if not more, with Liverpool Football Club. Good Luck!"
kOpIdOL
14th Sep 2010 1:26
bobbob07
14th Sep 2010 2:21
"ill say reina , im only 17 and didnt see clemence seems pretty impressive though "
Jenx92
14th Sep 2010 2:30
"If you go by medal collection sander westerveld is better then reina aswell then."
davidveliam
14th Sep 2010 2:47
"i think pepe doing a great jobs and he keep on trying to help the club to achieve a victory....it should be pepe.."
MohanSG
14th Sep 2010 2:58
"Ive not seen the other stoppers mentioned here, only heard of them. but ive seen Reina first hand. even though he has only 1 medal, tat doesn't prove hes any lesser of a great himself. i think medals come from teamwork. not only the stopper. so even if for now he only has 1 medal, he saved us in so many matches when it materred. my vote is for Reina!!!"
KimiTorr
14th Sep 2010 3:50
"you just become a legend pepe..!!good and excellent saves...nobody can challenge you..YNWA"
rEDsOX
14th Sep 2010 3:50
"Who cares?? Pepe is for the present n even IF he is not better than Ray, he is still the best in the world at present day!"
Zoinks
14th Sep 2010 3:52
"Think he needs at least 5 more years at the club with consistent displays & a lot better team in front of him in order to win some medals before he can maybe come out on top in that duel. But he's already up there ast them which is great kudos in itself."
Zoinks
14th Sep 2010 3:56
"^ ast them ^ "
KopiteTom1975
14th Sep 2010 7:14
"Reina is the best Liverpool keeper in my life time, but I am too young to remember Clem in his hey day. YNWA Pepe!"
gerrard9000
14th Sep 2010 7:43
"I think that pepe was great last match, but lets remember what did he do vs Arsenal!?!I vote for clem"
wmraker
14th Sep 2010 10:12
"Being a great shot stopper is now how a goal keeper fares! To compare Ray with Riena is like asking Rush vs Torres ..they were playing at different eras.. Perhaps some will saty Ray had good defenders in front of him unlike Riena..but being commanding at the back is the hallmark of a great keeper and Ray wins it hands down !! Riean is still learning to handle crosses!!"
rox90