Liverpool's U19 team were today reinstated into the NextGen Series after Tottenham Hotspur withdrew from the competition.
The young Reds lost 1-0 in the quarter-final stage at White Hart Lane earlier in the week but will now take their place in the last four of the tournament.
A statement released by Next Gen this morning reads as follows:
Cycad Enterprises, the organisers of the NextGen Series Tournament, has today announced the withdrawal of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club from the competition, following the Club making them aware of an inadvertent breach of a competition regulation.
Tottenham Hotspur's Director of Football Administration, Darren Eales said: "It is with regret that we have decided to withdraw from the semi finals of the NextGen Tournament due to an accidental breach of a competition regulation. We have done so fully respecting the Tournament regulations.
"As a club, we stand for the highest levels of integrity and respect and there was no unfair advantage sought or gained.
"Whilst hugely disappointing for players, staff and supporters, we would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support. We would also like to send Liverpool Football Club our very best wishes for the next round of the competition.'
Technical Co-Ordinator and Manager of the Club's NextGen side Tim Sherwood said: "It was obviously disappointing when this was brought to my attention. It is, however, all about the development of players and individual talent so the most disappointing aspect for us is that we will not be able to play another game at such a competitive level this season. The tournament has given us a great opportunity to see the best of other footballing cultures and many of our squad have proved that they are as good as any in Europe."
A NextGen spokesperson said; "Following conversations with senior Tottenham Hotspur officials we have agreed to accept their withdrawal from the semi final stages of the event. This is hugely unfortunate and we are sorry to see that such a hard fought encounter as witnessed at White Hart Lane on Wednesday night should have this conclusion. However, we can only applaud the Club for demonstrating such impeccable levels of sportsmanship and for acting in a manner which recognises the good spirit of both the Tournament and the game itself. We thank both clubs for their help and support in making this first year of the event such a success and we look forward to welcoming Liverpool to the semi-finals."
Liverpool will now face the winners of the FC Barcelona versus Ajax encounter which takes place on February 8 2012.