Simon Mignolet has backed Liverpool to bounce back from Monday's defeat at Manchester City and insists the Reds will head to White Hart Lane on Sunday in high spirits.

The Belgium stopper feels the first-half performance at the Etihad Stadium suggests that a return to their best form is not that far away, and cited the opening goal just before the break as a pivotal factor behind the loss.

"It's always disappointing to lose," Mignolet told Liverpoolfc.com.

"We came here hoping to get a result and obviously we didn't manage to do that.

[LFC_VIDEO_PLAYER_0]

"For the first 40 minutes of the game we played really well and then City scored from the only real chance they had in the first half. It's always difficult when you go into the dressing room 1-0 down at half-time.

"In the second half we looked for the equaliser but unfortunately they scored from a counter attack which made things difficult for us.

"I think we have to take the positives out of the game and look back to the first 40 minutes and we need to go into the next game and try to make sure we get the three points against Tottenham."

Despite conceding three goals, Mignolet believes the summer signings of Dejan Lovren, Alberto Moreno and Javier Manquillo will strengthen the backline over the course of the campaign.

He said: "Everybody is working really hard in training to make sure everybody is up to speed with things with what the gaffer wants.

"We have got lots of new faces in the squad and that means a lot of new talent, and I think everybody has shown already what they can do for Liverpool."

Liverpool's No.22 also welcomed the addition of Mario Balotelli, subject to registration, and is confident the Italian will prove a prolific threat in front of goal.

He added: "He's a big talent and he's shown his talents previously in the Premier League and also abroad.

"He can score goals, create chances and I'm looking forward to training with him and push each other on. Hopefully he can score a lot of goals for Liverpool."