There were mixed emotions for Liverpool's youngsters on the first day of the Northern Ireland Milk Cup as the U17s, despite a spirited fightback, lost 3-2 to County Armagh, while the U15s beat County Tyrone 2-0.

In the premier section of the tournament, Mike Garrity's group fell behind to an early goal when Ciaran Corey looped a stunning 35-yard volley over Andrew Firth to make it 1-0 on 11 minutes.

Liverpool were rocked, but they managed to regain control of the game as Sergi Canos went close with a clever strike after exchanging passes with Alex O'Hanlon on the edge of the box.

The Reds slowly began to turn the screw, with Kristof Polgar acting as their anchor in the middle of the park and Seyi Ojo providing width down the left.

However, just as they looked to make their advantage count, Garrity's side were hit on the counter attack - and when the ball was cut back into the centre from out on the left flank, Caolon Flanagan was perfectly placed to slot the ball home and double the deficit on 19 minutes.

Two minutes later, disaster struck for the Reds as Aaron Duke out-jumped their defence to nod home a Christian Stewart cross and make it 3-0.

After the interval, the manager introduced Ryan Kent, Pedro Chirivella and Harry Wilson - and the trio all excelled, taking the game to Armagh.

Kent, down the left, was a real threat from his first touch, pivoting on the ball and racing clear of his marker, while on the opposite flank, Wilson, with his electric pace and intuitive movement, caused all sorts of problems.

He was brought down in the box on 62 minutes and the referee pointed to the spot; however, O'Hanlon was unlucky to see his penalty saved well by Martin Marron in the Armagh net.

The Reds pulled one back minutes later, after Adam Phillips showed fine composure to shimmy past a defender and shoot at goal. His shot was saved, but Louis Robles was there to tap home and make it 3-1.

With two minutes left in the game, the Reds seized their opportunity to grab another goal. Kent raced through the middle of the park and threaded a weighted pass into the path of Phillips, who rolled the ball past the advancing 'keeper.

However, there was to be no comeback for the youngsters as Armagh held out to clinch a memorable 3-2 win.

Meanwhile, earlier in the day, the Reds' U15s beat County Tyrone 2-0 at Scroggy Road.

They almost took the lead within seconds of play when Liam Robinson was played through on goal and he managed to slot the ball beyond the 'keeper, only for his shot to be cleared off the line.

There was nothing to separate the teams at half-time; however, seven minutes after the restart, Anas Abdo rose to nod home a Robinson corner to give Michael Beale's side the lead.

Herbie Kane's superb free-kick in the 56th minute, which curled beyond the County Tyrone 'keeper, capped a comfortable 2-0 win.

Next up for the U17s is a clash against O'Higgins FC, while the U15s will face Cavan & Monaghan DL tomorrow.