Spion Kop gets a roof

28 August 1928

The summer of 1928 would mark a significant day in Liverpool Football Club's history.

But it was not a date that would see the emergence of one of our most illustrious players. Nor was it the fact that club Secretary George Patterson had just replaced the retiring Matt McQueen in the managerial hot-seat.

Instead it saw the development of what would become one of football's most famous stands.

The Spion Kop had already developed a reputation for being one of the most vocal stands in the country, but after undergoing a major revamp that saw it extended to 425 feet by 131 feet, it transformed into an imposing sight for opposition players, housing up to 30,000 standing spectators.     

The most important addition saw it topped by an iron cantilever roof, a feature that would act an as an amplifier for the deafening roars of a passionate crowd that would go on to become one of world football's most talked about stands.

Mr John McKenna was on hand to officially open it and thus begin a tradition that would stretch well into the 1990s and beyond with fans arriving as early as 11.30am on a match day in order to secure their much coveted place in the famous Kop.